Question Upgrading from Win7 to Win10 and Installing New SSD

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I'm considering upgrading the OS on this older machine from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home either via the free upgrade (hopefully it's still doable) and replacing the HDD with SSD or by starting from scratch completely. I have no clue where the existing OS license key is -- the PC came with Win 7 installed (OEM license?) -- so I don't know how realistic a Win10 upgrade is but I'll probably try anyway. Everyone that uses the PC is perfectly happy with Win7, just concerned about EOL and annoyed at how slow a HDD is. If the free upgrade is no longer an option maybe there is a way to procure a discounted genuine OS DVD and put the OS on a fresh SSD so that's plan B. Either way, hoping to get a cost-effective solution.

A couple of basic questions...
  1. Would SSD's require an adapter for this PC or can I just use some tape/straps? I believe native drive is the standard desktop 1TB 3.5" HDD. But all SSD are 2.5", correct? I imagine the only SSD this MB will support is via SATA cables so won't be able to have HDD and SSD together without major modifications.
  2. I have all of the files backed up and intend to reinstall most of the software on the new drive... I assume I can just do a fresh install using a DVD if the upgrade from Win7 fails and I have to buy an OS disc?
Thanks in advance.

Specs:
PC: HP Omni 220-1125 All-in-one
Motherboard: Pegatron IPISB-NK (LavacaB)
CPU socket type: LGA 1155
CPU: Intel i5-2400S (originally had Pentium G630)
RAM: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (originally had 6 GB)

You're right about the sizes, but normally HDDs and SSDs both use the SATA interface, so you should be able to connect with existing cables. The last I heard the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade still works, although I haven't tried it recently. If you have to reinstall Windows 7, all your current applications should still be installable via CD/DVD, and most programs that run under 7 still run under 10, although I know some utilities and antivirus programs are usually the exceptions.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
You're right about the sizes, but normally HDDs and SSDs both use the SATA interface, so you should be able to connect with existing cables. The last I heard the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade still works, although I haven't tried it recently. If you have to reinstall Windows 7, all your current applications should still be installable via CD/DVD, and most programs that run under 7 still run under 10, although I know some utilities and antivirus programs are usually the exceptions.
Thanks for the response.

About the OS... Are you suggesting I clone my Win7 set up (using Macrium Reflect perhaps?) and install on a SSD and then upgrade to 10? Or is there a better way to go? This PC was purchased new by me and has a legitimate Windows 7 license and I hope to keep it that way but would be nice to utilize this license/key and move to Win10 and extend the life of this PC.

USAFRet

Titan
Upgrade the system with the existing drive and OS to Win 10. Once that WIN 10 is fully activated, then you can switch drives and do a clean isntall of Win 10 no problem.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Upgrade the system with the existing drive and OS to Win 10. Once that WIN 10 is fully activated, then you can switch drives and do a clean isntall of Win 10 no problem.

Thank you. Thoughts about steps to take pre-install? Full system back up using Macrium Relfect or not needed? Is there a file or DVD I can create to roll back to Win7 just in case (hope won't have to do that)?

USAFRet

Titan
Before any major upgrade and change like this, I always make a full drive Image.
Just in case...

Yes, Macrium Reflect will do this easily, as long as you have some other drive with suffieicient free space to save the Image to.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Before any major upgrade and change like this, I always make a full drive Image.
Just in case...

Yes, Macrium Reflect will do this easily, as long as you have some other drive with suffieicient free space to save the Image to.
Yes, I have a 3TB external HDD with most of the space available. So should be ok with space. I imagine the backup will take quite a while given how much space is being used right now on this machine. Concurrently, I'll be on the lookout for the SSD. I imagine the SSD + Win 10 should be a good combination for this PC. We'll see.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
OK, you'll need a 1TB, 2.5" SATA III SSD.

Recommendations, either Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO.

Crucial, $120
https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500-1tb/p/N82E16820156174

Samsung, $148
https://www.newegg.com/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147673
Thanks. I understand those are top of the line choices for a home PC, right? I've got them on my radar. Any other strong/reliable options? I'm also doing research on some of the mid-tier choices like ADATA drives, Crucial BX series, etc.

I've been thinking about moving some of the files -- a lot of the files -- off of the existing HDD so may in the end go with a skinnier 500GB (or so) set up but not sure yet. I'm not the primary user and may be overruled. :)

USAFRet

Titan
And if you're going to do a clean install anyway, I suggest finding and copying all your personal files to some where as well, outside of a Macrium Image.

Other drives or sizes?
You're going to be living with this drive for some years to come. This is not the time to go cheap.
And still a 1TB.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
I've got a backup of all documents, pictures, etc on a separate HDD. Software I can reinstall if needed.

So sounds like you recommend I should focus on MX and EVO series drives. Good to know - thank you.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Only one drive there at the moment, a 1TB HDD. I would love to keep it there and just ADD a SSD but I don't think that's an option. I'll probably just replace the existing drive with a 1TB SSD or, if I can move a ton of data out, will put in a 500GB drive. We'll see.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
To provide an update... I'm going to do a full-system backup on this PC, read up on performing the OS upgrade and then once all of that is good to go will save up some funds and upgrade the HDD to a high-quality 1 TB SSD. Targeting Crucial MX-500, Samsung 860 EVO, WD Blue 3D and SanDisk Ultra 3D.

npt2404

Prominent
Jul 31, 2017
Win7 still in but the HDD is replaced with Crucial MX500 1TB SSD! As expected, very nice improvement in performance. Not like a PC manufactured in with a NVMe SSD (I have one) but pretty impressive for a six-year-old machine.

Will move to Win10 later this year. Need to see how well some graphic design/photography software will behave in new environment first.

EDIT: One thing that I learned is that this PC's motherboard has only the SATA II interface as opposed to SATA III so the SSD reads and wires at about 50% of its designed spec.

Last edited: