Upgrading from Windows ME to Windows 2000

Ruffy

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002

In attempting to do the upgrade, I now have both operating systems on my
computer. How do I wind up running only Win 2000 and having it recognize
everything on my hard disk? Is the first step to delete Win 2000 and if so,
how do I do this, as it appears to be a 'clean' install and gives me no clue
as to how to uninstall it? Or, should I uninstall Win ME first?

This is my son's computer and I am in desperate need of some help here.
Many thanks. Please email me at jeff_leader@yahoo.com. Jeff.

There is no supported upgrade path from WinME to Windows 2000. To do a clean
install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set
of four install disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change
to the \bootdisk directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos)
or makebt32.exe (from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]