[SOLVED] Upgrading GPU but no PCI/e connectors

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
4 years ago I brought a already built pc and now I hage wanted to upgrade the GPU. I originally had the GT730 which wasn't connected to any supplementary power, but the new one I brought requires an 8-bit PCI to power it. What do I do? I can post photos if necessary.

Last edited:
Solution
That sounds about right. But a GPU that needs an 8 pin PCIe can be from 150W up to225W, You might add another 50-100W for future expansion. A cheap PSU can damage other components with "dirty" power. Also they can lack overload protetcion ( as in catch fire). The technical rewiewers test for these conditions which a normal user can't detect. A good PSU will last for years.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Purchase a new power supply that does have the required PCIE power cables.

Please list your complete system component list or computer model number.

-Wolf sends
Operation system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Processor: Intel core i5 6400
(Old graphics card): GT730 2GB
(New graphics card): GTX1660
Hard drive: 3TB
Memory: 12GB DDR3
Optical drive: DVD-Super multi
Card reader: Card reader

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
You need to tell us what system it is including the size of the case, CPU and RAM. The GPU you want to use. The GTX1050 Ti is the most powerful GPU that doesn't need a PCIe connector. It would be a vast improvement over the GT730.

Operation system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit
Processor: Intel core i5 6400
(Old graphics card): GT730 2GB
(New graphics card): GTX1660
Hard drive: 3TB
Memory: 12GB DDR3
Optical drive: DVD-Super multi
Card reader: Card reader

I'm not entirely sure about the size of the case, but it's not huge. I'd estimate height - 2ft. Length - 3ft, width, 1ft

It sounds like a Tower, and not a Desktop or Small Form Factor. That means a normal ATX PSU should work. Your GPU should come with a recommended PSU power level, and maybe some specific brands. Quality matters. Look up some comparison articles ( not user reviews) Johnnyguru , and Tomshardware have them. You don't need the very best, but there are off brands that should be avoided.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
It sounds like a Tower, and not a Desktop or Small Form Factor. That means a normal ATX PSU should work. Your GPU should come with a recommended PSU power level, and maybe some specific brands. Quality matters. Look up some comparison articles ( not user reviews) Johnnyguru , and Tomshardware have them. You don't need the very best, but there are off brands that should be avoided.
By power level you mean the power supply, it says minimum requirements 450 W or greater, and I'll have a look into that PSU

That sounds about right. But a GPU that needs an 8 pin PCIe can be from 150W up to225W, You might add another 50-100W for future expansion. A cheap PSU can damage other components with "dirty" power. Also they can lack overload protetcion ( as in catch fire). The technical rewiewers test for these conditions which a normal user can't detect. A good PSU will last for years.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS