Upgrading GPU help needed. what to choose.

brookesY

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I'm upgrading some parts in the next few weeks. First on list is the GPU I currently have an ATI radeon HD 5700.. i've looked around and found MSI Radeon R9 270X Gaming 4G.. what are your thoughts on this GPU or is there better for similar price? also will i be needing the 4G?

Games I play: BF4 / Starcraft 2 / Hearthstone / Tom Clancy's The Division ( when its out)

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5700
Monitor 1: ASUS VS247 23.6"
Monitor 2: AOC F19 21.5"

Solution
don't get the 4gb version for that card unless you are planning to go with a dual solution

for the same price as that 4gb variant i believe you can get the gtx 760 from nvidia which performs slightly faster across the board than the 270x (pricing depends on location) and the nvidia card comes with ac4 right now if you find the right vendor.

4gb variants of 2gb cards are only useful in sli (nvidia) or crossfire (amd). this means using 2 or more cards in your system, which most people will tell you to avoid in most cases.

so yeah for your budget the 760 is about the top of the class, while the amd 280x and the gtx 770 are the next step up, but are obviously over $300 and likely out of your price range
don't get the 4gb version for that card unless you are planning to go with a dual solution

for the same price as that 4gb variant i believe you can get the gtx 760 from nvidia which performs slightly faster across the board than the 270x (pricing depends on location) and the nvidia card comes with ac4 right now if you find the right vendor.

4gb variants of 2gb cards are only useful in sli (nvidia) or crossfire (amd). this means using 2 or more cards in your system, which most people will tell you to avoid in most cases.

so yeah for your budget the 760 is about the top of the class, while the amd 280x and the gtx 770 are the next step up, but are obviously over $300 and likely out of your price range

Solution
the 280x is liekly out of your budget range (especially if you are in an area affected by the virtual mining craze)

if you do want faster than the 270x or 760, then between the 280x, and the gtx 770, get whichever is cheaper in your area, as they are both very similar in terms of performance, trading blows in some games, though the 280x does overclock to be ever so slightly faster than the 770.

if you want to stay in the same price range as the 270x 4gb, the 760 2gb model performs ever so slightly faster on average across the board (270x will win in amd optimized games after mantle drops).

so after this month, for bf4, the 270x will probably beat the 760, but in games that do not use the mantle api, the 760 will usually come out ever so slightly on top