[SOLVED] Upgrading GPU

IrishNightSlayer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
So I currently have the AMD Radeon RX 580 Armor and I am looking for a not to expensive but a better gpu that I can upgrade to. I'm kinda on a tight budget so I plan to wait until the Stock Market settles down. But I would like to know what and how much I am saving for.

Solution
Hard to say. Nobody knows when/if the market goes back to normal. For all we know, msrp gpu prices won’t mean much for a few years.

I’m not sure how much you’ve got saved, but it appears the rx 580 8gb cards are selling for almost 400. So maybe you sell the 580 and try to snipe a deal while your 580 is worth something yet. Or keep saving and looking. For example in my case, they released the rx 6600xt on August 11th of this year. The msrp is about 379.99. I scored one at my local Microcenter for $439.99. My gtx 1070 sold for just over 300 bucks.

While I like my rx 6600xt, not that I was necessarily planning for that card, it appeared, and was available close to msrp, so I jumped on it. Now you can’t hardly get one. So...

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Graphic card prices are still so far out of whack, that a new card about as good as your current one would set you back $600-$700 right now, and a perceptable upgrade might well cost $1000-plus.

I'd recommend not to upgrade at all.

Hard to say. Nobody knows when/if the market goes back to normal. For all we know, msrp gpu prices won’t mean much for a few years.

I’m not sure how much you’ve got saved, but it appears the rx 580 8gb cards are selling for almost 400. So maybe you sell the 580 and try to snipe a deal while your 580 is worth something yet. Or keep saving and looking. For example in my case, they released the rx 6600xt on August 11th of this year. The msrp is about 379.99. I scored one at my local Microcenter for $439.99. My gtx 1070 sold for just over 300 bucks.

While I like my rx 6600xt, not that I was necessarily planning for that card, it appeared, and was available close to msrp, so I jumped on it. Now you can’t hardly get one. So seems these days you have to have some money saved and be ready to jump when a deal comes up or you will have a hard time getting a card. And be flexible. Like I kind of had wanted an rtx 3060. But that came available with similar performance and was a good price.

Solution

IrishNightSlayer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
In the question above, I said I'm not going to upgrade right now because of the GPU prices but I would like to know what gpu is a good upgrade and what gpu I need to save up for. So I would like to know what gpu is better.

IrishNightSlayer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
Oh ok. Yeah I'm kinda new to the PC upgrading stuff and I'm not really comfortable yet selling my GPU because I don't want to do something and fry the thing xD but thanks for the useful information! Will definitely use it.

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
In the question above, I said I'm not going to upgrade right now because of the GPU prices but I would like to know what gpu is a good upgrade and what gpu I need to save up for. So I would like to know what gpu is better.
Guess that came out wrong. My apologies.

Problem is, any goalpost here would be moving on a treadmill, and might very well have fallen off by the time you make the jump - Even though the treadmill is moving slower than the balmy days of mid-to-late 00's.

For reference, I'd recommend TPU's GPU database. They did make the GPU-Z utility, after all.

From the RX 580, you at minimum though want to go to a gtx 1070 or higher. The GTX 1660 Super is about the same performance level as the 1070. But if you can, where you probably want to be looking at is an RTX 3060 or better, or on the AMD side, the RX 6600xt or better. The issue is right now finding one at near msrp, as these cards are selling for double or more what they should sell for.

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
A 6700xt/6800 would be quite the decent upgrade if you wanna stay amd. If you wanna go for nvidia the 3060 is your best bet. Avoid the 3070 because buying a 8gb card in 2021 is IMO (so don't get offended if some of you bought a 3070) stupid unless you plan to keep playing at 1080p till the next upgrade. Then a 3070 would be fine. I'd still avoid it but hey, you're not me.

Last edited:

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
From the RX 580, you at minimum though want to go to a gtx 1070 or higher. The GTX 1660 Super is about the same performance level as the 1070. But if you can, where you probably want to be looking at is an RTX 3060 or better, or on the AMD side, the RX 6600xt or better. The issue is right now finding one at near msrp, as these cards are selling for double or more what they should sell for.
Those would be my choice as well - A 3060 or 6600XT would have been optimal - but emphasis on would have been.
A 6700xt/6800 would be quite the decent upgrade if you wanna stay amd. If you wanna go for nvidia the 3060ti is your best bet. Avoid the 3070 because buying a 8gb card in 2021 is IMO (so don't get offended if some of you bought a 3070) stupid unless you plan to keep playing at 1080p till the next upgrade. Then a 3070 would be fine. I'd still avoid it but hey, you're not me.
I think you meant to say a 3060. The 3060Ti is a 3070-lite with the same 8GB of VRAM.

IrishNightSlayer

Prominent
Aug 16, 2021
No don't be sorry, I wasn't trying to be a jerk. I guess that makes sense. Well my plan is just to find a GPU that I need find an average price and save up. If it goes down than GREAT but if it goes up then darn.

Another thing to consider is not planning ahead of time which GPU to get. The market is so bad right now, that by the time prices are normal, we will probably be seeing the RTX 4000 series, or maybe RTX 5000 even. Nobody knows. The RTX 3060 might seem like a great card to upgrade to, which it is, but by the time you are actually looking to upgrade, and the prices have gone down, the 3060 might not be a good option, and you might be better off with a used 3070 or a new 4060 instead. The market changes every few months, and the "best GPU to get" changes as well. You will be better off doing your research and picking a GPU when you have the money, and are actually looking to upgrade. That being said, if the market prices are back to normal, I think you should be looking to have $400-500 saved for a new low/mid level GPU.

Almost any card is an upgrade for you then. Even a 5-6 year old GTX 1060 is an upgrade. But if you can find something like an RTX 3060 or RX 6600XT or higher than one of those, you should see a massive improvement. Just make sure you have a high quality power supply that is up to the job.