Question Upgrading Graphics Card... potential problems?

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
I need to upgrade my Graphics Card in my older system as Adobe Photoshop and other programs in the Adobe Cloud Suite say my current card doesn't support DX12, which is apparently necessary.
I'm running a Dual Boot system with Windows 7 and Windows 10 ( I can't upgrade my system to Windows 11)
Here is info on my system:
Motherboard is an Asus P9X79 Pro
Processor is an Intel i7-3930 CPU3.2GHz,
Dual Boot Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Power Supply is 760W PCIE slot version 3.0
Current Graphics Card Nvidia GTX 760

- potentially upgrading to an RTX 3060 12GB Graphics Card.
- I don't game at all.. I'll be using the machine for Photo and Video editing with Adobe Cloud Products and DaVinci Resolve.

I've never upgraded a Graphics Card before and I'm looking for advice on any potential problems in doing so, things I should watch out for, precautions I should take etc.
Also...Any potential problems specific to a Dual Boot System?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Reactions: zenithecho

soloalpinist

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
There should be no problems upgrading video card at all with your system. The only thing I'd be mindful of is the power supply so what model is it specifically?
Seasonic SS 760XP2ATX 12V/EPS 12V 760W 80 Plus Platinum Full Modular Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Zork283

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2014
The most important thing that I can think of is to make sure that you use the power cables that came with your Power Supply. Do not use any other cables, even if they came from the same manufacturer. People have fried their systems by mixing and matching power cables to their GPU.

Another potential issue is that the the new GPU may experience driver issues until you use GeForce Experience to update the drivers. Since you already have a Nvidia GPU, you should be familiar with GeForce Experience. When users troubleshoot their GPU drivers, they often plug their monitor directly into their motherboard backpanel. I reviewed your Motherboard's manual, and since the Asus P9X79 Pro backpanel does not appear to have its own video output port, this troubleshooting option would not be available to you.

Aside from those two issues all I can think of is the generic advice when installing components in a computer (Unplug the power cable before opening the case, ground yourself by touching the metal case before handling any components)