Question Upgrading graphics card question

Dec 31, 2021
I have a HP Envy that I'm thinking about upgrading. I don't play extremely intense games anymore, no COD or anything mostly just modded minecraft with my niece and nephew and planet zoo. However, my planet zoo is starting to bog my computer down the bigger I build the zoo so, I'd like to upgrade. The system specs are as follows per the benchmark test:

System HP ENVY TE01-1xxx (all builds)
Motherboard HP 8767
Memory 7.1 GB free of 12 GB @ 3.2 GHz
Display 1920 x 1080 - 32 Bit colors,
OS Windows 10
BIOS Date 20210319

The benchmark also says:

PC Status: Overall this PC is performing above expectations (71st percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 29 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components.

Processor: With an outstanding single core score, this CPU is the cat's whiskers: It demolishes everyday tasks such as web browsing, office apps and audio/video playback. Additionally this processor can handle typical workstation, and even moderate server workloads. Finally, with a gaming score of 91.9%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is excellent.

Graphics: 5.47% is a very low 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can only handle very basic 3D games but it's fine for general computing tasks.

Boot Drive: 226% is an exceptional SSD score. This drive is suitable for heavy workstation use, it will facilitate fast boots, responsive applications and allow for fast transfers of multi-gigabyte files.

Memory: 12GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's more than sufficient for nearly all games. 12GB also allows for very large file and system caches, software development and batch photo editing/processing.

My question is, what graphics card would be suitable and do I need to update anything else when I update the graphics card? ..Thanks in advance! :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So you have a 10 series cpu and are using the igpu. Your upgrade path will depend on the wattage of the psu and if it has pcie power connectors. Some don't, so you'd be restricted to a GT1030, gtx1050/Ti at best. But even a GT1030 is miles ahead of intels igpu. With a 400w/6pin pcie you could do a gtx1060. 450w/8pin a gtx1660/Ti

I have a HP Envy that I'm thinking about upgrading. I don't play extremely intense games anymore, no COD or anything mostly just modded minecraft with my niece and nephew and planet zoo. However, my planet zoo is starting to bog my computer down the bigger I build the zoo so, I'd like to upgrade. The system specs are as follows per the benchmark test:

System HP ENVY TE01-1xxx (all builds)
Motherboard HP 8767
Memory 7.1 GB free of 12 GB @ 3.2 GHz
Display 1920 x 1080 - 32 Bit colors,
OS Windows 10
BIOS Date 20210319

The benchmark also says:

PC Status: Overall this PC is performing above expectations (71st percentile). This means that out of 100 PCs with exactly the same components, 29 performed better. The overall PC percentile is the average of each of its individual components.

Processor: With an outstanding single core score, this CPU is the cat's whiskers: It demolishes everyday tasks such as web browsing, office apps and audio/video playback. Additionally this processor can handle typical workstation, and even moderate server workloads. Finally, with a gaming score of 91.9%, this CPU's suitability for 3D gaming is excellent.

Graphics: 5.47% is a very low 3D score (RTX 2060S = 100%). This GPU can only handle very basic 3D games but it's fine for general computing tasks.

Boot Drive: 226% is an exceptional SSD score. This drive is suitable for heavy workstation use, it will facilitate fast boots, responsive applications and allow for fast transfers of multi-gigabyte files.

Memory: 12GB is enough RAM to run any version of Windows and it's more than sufficient for nearly all games. 12GB also allows for very large file and system caches, software development and batch photo editing/processing.

My question is, what graphics card would be suitable and do I need to update anything else when I update the graphics card? ..Thanks in advance! :)
Post a link to the UBM results page that showed those readings.

Dec 31, 2021
So you have a 10 series cpu and are using the igpu. Your upgrade path will depend on the wattage of the psu and if it has pcie power connectors. Some don't, so you'd be restricted to a GT1030, gtx1050/Ti at best. But even a GT1030 is miles ahead of intels igpu. With a 400w/6pin pcie you could do a gtx1060. 450w/8pin a gtx1660/Ti

How/where do I look to find out which wattage I have?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
HP, Dell, Lenovo and pretty much all the Big Box fully assembled pc manufacturers are very skimpy when it comes to details. It's almost like they are ashamed. They'll hit you in Big bold letters it's a 10th Gen cpu, but never once say anything about the psu.

So you'll have to open up the pc and look for the sticker/stamp for the wattage (total) , or even a model number will do. And if there's a 6pin or 8pin pcie connector tucked away in the rats nest of wiring.