Question upgrading gtx 970 to 1080 OR 1080TI

Sep 12, 2024
hey everyone, i am looking to buy a used GPU and I'm debating what to buy so I have a few questions:
1.Does my power supply match the video cards both in power and in the required pin connections?
2.Because the processor I have has a small bottleneck with the two cards, is it possible that I will not see a significant difference between them?

i am using my pc for gaming, Thanks to the helpers.

my current pc spec :
CPU: i7-6700
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16 GB
PSU : FSP RAIDER 650W (PSU product spec)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
2.Because the processor I have has a small bottleneck with the two cards, is it possible that I will not see a significant difference between them?

CPU: i7-6700

i7-6700 was contemporary to the GPUs in question. A faster system would make it possible to get more FPS under some circumstances. But the key with having a larger GPU is that you can increase graphics settings to point the CPU is not longer limiting anything. If you can only get 25 FPS at 4K out of a 1080Ti on the latest games, then your CPU will have idle time. If you set the game up at 720p, you will hit the CPUs limit well before the GPU is taxed.

Once you have it in hand, you simply find the best settings for each game.

I would not use that PSU to power a 1080 Ti or 1080. 8 years is a decent lifespan for a PSU, but past my comfort zone. There were several FSP Raider models at 650W, and most of them weren't very well regarded. GTX970 is pretty light at 145W though, and a locked CPU certainly helped. You could probably risk the GTX 1080 at 180W, but the 250W 1080 Ti would be pushing it (those are reference numbers, exact cards may have higher power requirements)

Reactions: tkv65
Sep 12, 2024
i7-6700 was contemporary to the GPUs in question. A faster system would make it possible to get more FPS under some circumstances. But the key with having a larger GPU is that you can increase graphics settings to point the CPU is not longer limiting anything. If you can only get 25 FPS at 4K out of a 1080Ti on the latest games, then your CPU will have idle time. If you set the game up at 720p, you will hit the CPUs limit well before the GPU is taxed.

Once you have it in hand, you simply find the best settings for each game.

I would not use that PSU to power a 1080 Ti or 1080. 8 years is a decent lifespan for a PSU, but past my comfort zone. There were several FSP Raider models at 650W, and most of them weren't very well regarded. GTX970 is pretty light at 145W though, and a locked CPU certainly helped. You could probably risk the GTX 1080 at 180W, but the 250W 1080 Ti would be pushing it (those are reference numbers, exact cards may have higher power requirements)
thanks for the answer.

so its recommended in my situation to buy the gtx 1080?
and my PSU has 2 PCI-E 6+2 Connectors, its ok for those GPU's?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Reference GTX1080 use a single 8-pin if memory serves. Others may have been an 8-pin and a 6-pin. Dual 8-pin is enough for GPUs of that era outside of some extreme ones. Just check the card in question.

My advice would be to replace the PSU regardless. You can always use it in your next upgrade.

Reactions: tkv65
Sep 12, 2024
Reference GTX1080 use a single 8-pin if memory serves. Others may have been an 8-pin and a 6-pin. Dual 8-pin is enough for GPUs of that era outside of some extreme ones. Just check the card in question.

My advice would be to replace the PSU regardless. You can always use it in your next upgrade.
ok i understand, thank you for the fast answer