Question Upgrading hardware for MSFS 2020 ?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
So, recently I mostly play MSFS2020. I am using the system with the specs in my signature. Generally speaking game runs pretty good but runs in some performance in stuttering issues at lower altitudes and busy airports. In 1440p with High End preset (second highest, Ultra to be the highest) I am getting 50 to 70fps at high altitudes with complex 3rd party airliners, and during take offs and landings at busy airports I am in the low to high 30fps.

It's time soon to upgrade my system. Wish list is a 13700k system with DDR5 and possibly the RTX4080 when it comes out. I probably can't do both upgrades at the same time. Should I first get the RTX 4080 or should I upgrade Processor, motherboard, ram and cooler first?

The biggest gaming performance increase for most games I probably would see with the GPU upgrade. But that might not be true for Microsoft Flight Simulator since it is heavy CPU limited.....

What is your take?

Lutfij

Titan
Looking at your sig space, are these the specs to your current build?
i7-8700k @ 5.0Ghz Delidded | MSI Z370 Gaming Carbon Pro | MSI RTX 2080 | 32GB DDR4 3000 | Samsung EVO970 500GB M.2 | Cooling beQuiet Dark Rock Pro3 | PSU Corsair RM850x | Case: Corsair 400C | 27" 1440p 144hz G-SYNC Monitor
Sig space specs can and will change over time, which is why we ask that the info be included in the thread's body to aid any other user in the same predicament as you're in now.

That being said, how old is the PSU in your build? You could make do with the GPU first but with how things are with the cream of the crop RTX 4090 and the story of PSU's being the issue(and power), you might need to swap the PSU for something more beefy. The card hasn't been released yet, you could do with a platform change as a start, though if I were you, I'd save the funds, be patient and wait for the RTX4080 to come out, wait for reviewers to flood the www and then decide on a purchase.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
i7-8700k @ 5.0Ghz Delidded | MSI Z370 Gaming Carbon Pro | MSI RTX 2080 | 32GB DDR4 3000 | Samsung EVO970 500GB M.2 | Cooling beQuiet Dark Rock Pro3 | PSU Corsair RM850x | Case: Corsair 400C | 27" 1440p 144hz G-SYNC Monitor
Sig space specs can and will change over time, which is why we ask that the info be included in the thread's body to aid any other user in the same predicament as you're in now.

That being said, how old is the PSU in your build? You could make do with the GPU first but with how things are with the cream of the crop RTX 4090 and the story of PSU's being the issue(and power), you might need to swap the PSU for something more beefy. The card hasn't been released yet, you could do with a platform change as a start, though if I were you, I'd save the funds, be patient and wait for the RTX4080 to come out, wait for reviewers to flood the www and then decide on a purchase.

Yes, the specs in my signature is the current system.

The PSU is less than 2 years old. I wanted to get a RTX3080 and got the PSU for that, but eventually skipped the 3080. I am not planning at all to get a RTX4090......I am probably go for a RTX4080 but wait until all little launch issues are settled.

I probably update the the Processor first, due to the fact that Microsoft Flight simulator is mostly CPU bound in airports and close to the ground and that is where you want FPS comfortable over 30. In GPU bound situations (happens up in the sky far away from the ground, I get frames up to 60fps anyway. No urgency with GPU upgrade, I guess

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished

I don´t think for a 13700k and RTX4080 combo (lets see what the final power specs will be on that) will require 1000 watt psu. Maybe if you overclock CPU and GPU to the limit and run benchmarks all the time maybe. But with moderate overclocks and normal gaming that combo will not even get close to 850 watts.

Lutfij

Titan
You can look through Hardware Busters, gamers Nexus and other reputable reviewers(who don't use click bait tactics for video viewing) to corroborate the point about how much power is needed.

View: https://youtu.be/nZcyhcPVxUM?t=196

In the past cards that were touted to be power efficient suddenly ended up drawing more power after subsequent driver revisions(and the proverbial performance boosts with drivers updates).

mjbn1977

Distinguished
You can look through Hardware Busters, gamers Nexus and other reputable reviewers(who don't use click bait tactics for video viewing) to corroborate the point about how much power is needed.

In the past cards that were touted to be power efficient suddenly ended up drawing more power after subsequent driver revisions(and the proverbial performance boosts with drivers updates).

I get it. But still. PCgameshardware did power draw test for the new raptor lake processors. The i7-13700k never drew more the 225 watt in hefty applications and not more than 175 watts in games. The averages were much lower. Lets give 100 watts to all other components in the pc....that leaves still 500 watts for the video card before you get close to the 850 Watts. Depending on 3rd party manufacturer of the cards, 400 to 600 Watts are possible.

Yes, with a 13700k with RTX4090 combo the 850watt might be borderline, but for a 13700k with RTX 4080 combo the 850 psu should be enough.

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnRyyCsuHFQ