[SOLVED] Upgrading HP Pavilion Gaming 690-0013w

Feb 22, 2022
Looking at upgrading a pre-built I bought. (only because I got a local marketplace steal. Otherwise i'd never buy one.) I've had it for a year now and looking at upgrading.

Specs: HP 690-0013w,

CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz,

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB

RAM: 8GB DDR4 (Upgraded to 16GB, but because HP doesn't trust its users to mess with bio reallocation of reserved ram for the disabled integrated graphics, technically only getting 14GB.)

Storage: 500GB Crucial SSD + 1TB HDD.

PSU: 310w

Mobo: HP Custom Size Sunflower

SSID: 8433

Chipset: AMD Promontory FCH

Memory sockets: 2 x DDR4

Processor socket: AM4

Expansion Slots:

One PCIe x16 slot

One PCIe x1 slot

One M.2 socket 1, key A

One M.2 socket 3, key M

---------------------------------------

I'm not sure where to even start or if it's even worth upgrading. Any Suggestions, i've been budget gaming for 8 years. Not looking to drop $1000. Just looking to upgrade part by part if possible. Maybe a new MOBO, but I think the case is custom size.. new PSU. New GPU. Not sure.. Ideally would like to upgrade the GPU of course. (2GB Dedicated and 1050 is pretty out of date. But if I upgrade that, then I have to upgrade EVERYTHING else.)

Solution
Looking at upgrading a pre-built I bought. (only because I got a local marketplace steal. Otherwise i'd never buy one.) I've had it for a year now and looking at upgrading.

RAM: 8GB DDR4 (Upgraded to 16GB, but because HP doesn't trust its users to mess with bio reallocation of reserved ram for the disabled integrated graphics, technically only getting 14GB.)

Expansion Slots:

One PCIe x16 slot

One PCIe x1 slot

One M.2 socket 1, key A

One M.2 socket 3, key M...

Expansion Slots:

One PCIe x16 slot

One PCIe x1 slot

One M.2 socket 1, key A

One M.2 socket 3, key M

---------------------------------------

I'm not sure where to even start or if it's even worth upgrading. Any Suggestions, i've been budget gaming for 8 years. Not looking to drop $1000. Just looking to upgrade part by part if possible. Maybe a new MOBO, but I think the case is custom size.. new PSU. New GPU. Not sure.. Ideally would like to upgrade the GPU of course. (2GB Dedicated and 1050 is pretty out of date. But if I upgrade that, then I have to upgrade EVERYTHING else.)
Proprietary system. I don't see upgrading it as a worthwhile option, even for the few parts that could be upgraded. The only salvageable parts are the Crucial SSD and maybe the GPU which could be allocated to a new system. The ram is most likely slow and not worth using in a new system, but I don't know the speed as you didn't list it.

It may be best to use it as is or sell it outright and put the money toward a new build. It's certainly capable enough for a home office PC with some light gaming. Alternatively, you could keep it as a spare system or donate it to a friend or family member if you know anyone in need. If you're using an older, low resolution, low refresh monitor you'll need to factor the replacement cost for that in to a new build as well.

Bottom line- Keep it as is, sell it or give it away. If you build yourself you'll be able to upgrade as time goes on and avoid the pitfalls of a proprietary system you're experiencing now. Just my 2 cents. Other opinions may vary.

Reactions: helper800
Solution
Proprietary system. I don't see upgrading it as a worthwhile option, even for the few parts that could be upgraded. The only salvageable parts are the Crucial SSD and maybe the GPU which could be allocated to a new system. The ram is most likely slow and not worth using in a new system, but I don't know the speed as you didn't list it.

It may be best to use it as is or sell it outright and put the money toward a new build. It's certainly capable enough for a home office PC with some light gaming. Alternatively, you could keep it as a spare system or donate it to a friend or family member if you know anyone in need. If you're using an older, low resolution, low refresh monitor you'll need to factor the replacement cost for that in to a new build as well.

Bottom line- Keep it as is, sell it or give it away. If you build yourself you'll be able to upgrade as time goes on and avoid the pitfalls of a proprietary system you're experiencing now. Just my 2 cents. Other opinions may vary.
Your 2 cents is closer to a fistful of dollars in my opinion.

Feb 22, 2022

thanks, i'm currently playing Apex 60fps (varies), valorant 100fps, league of legends 120+fps, rocket league, and lost ark 60fps on it. It's also capable of running a switch emulator & playing Pokemon Arceus 40fps. Not sure how it can handle games such as Apex, but all esport games I've played so far I get more frames than I need.. CSGO/League/Rocket/Valorant/ it's a beast for esport games. I only paid $300 for it, and at the time it was an upgrade from my 750ti/Amd A8 6500 build. The price of GPU's is retarded so I don't see myself building a new pc in this current market anytime soon.. the gpu in this prebuild was worth more than the pc new at the time I bought it. I see it's still going for 350-370 new which is ridiculous. The ram I bought for it was a Gskill Aegis 2133mhz.
Bottom line, since it's capable of playing the games I play atm, should I hold onto it until prices drop? I don't think i'd even get enough out of it to cover a gpu. Is it still cheaper to build than to find a prebuilt on lets say facebook marketplace? Some people just really don't know what they got or the market. I had to show this guy how to find the gpu

thanks, i'm currently playing Apex 60fps (varies), valorant 100fps, league of legends 120+fps, rocket league, and lost ark 60fps on it. It's also capable of running a switch emulator & playing Pokemon Arceus 40fps. Not sure how it can handle games such as Apex, but all esport games I've played so far I get more frames than I need.. CSGO/League/Rocket/Valorant/ it's a beast for esport games. I only paid $300 for it, and at the time it was an upgrade from my 750ti/Amd A8 6500 build. The price of GPU's is retarded so I don't see myself building a new pc in this current market anytime soon.. the gpu in this prebuild was worth more than the pc new at the time I bought it. I see it's still going for 350-370 new which is ridiculous. The ram I bought for it was a Gskill Aegis 2133mhz.
Bottom line, since it's capable of playing the games I play atm, should I hold onto it until prices drop? I don't think i'd even get enough out of it to cover a gpu. Is it still cheaper to build than to find a prebuilt on lets say facebook marketplace? Some people just really don't know what they got or the market. I had to show this guy how to find the gpu
Keep using it and save for a new system. Avoid buying parts periodically to build later on. This almost never works out in your favor. Buy everything at the same time if possible. A new part you buy and hold for several months could fail out of the box and you may be past the option to return it to the seller leading to an RMA to the manufacturer. Also, a newer, improved part could become available leading to buyers remorse.