[SOLVED] Upgrading internal ssd

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Hope this is the right place to post this question

My motherboard is an ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME H310M-E R2.0 (LGA1151) and I have 119GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SATA (SSD)) installed which is nearly full.

I have purchased a WD Blue SN550 1TB High-Performance M.2 PCIe NVME SSD as replacement which I hope will be compatible (can anyone confirm).

I would like some pointers as to the best/easiest way to transfer my existing ssd content to the new drive.

I have an image of the existing drive created by Macrium Reflect Free.

I would prefer to either copy the image or clone the existing drive prior to installing the new ssd so that I know everything is OK before installing the new ssd.

I have a S-ATA&IDE to USB2.0 connector kit which I have used in the past but I am not sure if this is the best way to go especially as it's only USB2.0 or should I get a new USB 3.0 connector and if so what should I get.

I would welcome any advice on how to proceed. Do I for example have to format the new ssd or will cloning do that and how do I adjust the partition sizes for the new ssd.

Thanks

PS I intend to keep the existing ssd "as is" as a backup....just in case

Just realised this is more appropriate to storage please move!!

Solution
Thusly:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You...

USAFRet

Titan
Thusly:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Solution

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks very much for the detailed reply.

Two questions if I may.

Where do I find the drivers for the new NVMe/PCIe drive. Will they be on the WD site?

How physically to connect the new ssd to my system to allow the cloning process. I only have one ssd slot on the mother board so need an external connection.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks very much for the detailed reply.

Two questions if I may.

Where do I find the drivers for the new NVMe/PCIe drive. Will they be on the WD site?

How physically to connect the new ssd to my system to allow the cloning process. I only have one ssd slot on the mother board so need an external connection.
How is your 840 EVO connected now?
One of the SATA ports, correct?

The new NVMe drive gets connected to the M.2 port.

Download NVME driver from Samsung or Intel

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...microsoft-windows-drivers-for-intel-ssds.html
Install your NVME M.2 drive into M.2 slot on board. No additional cables or adapters necessary.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmxKq1XA60U

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Thanks for the reply. My question about installing the new ssd was how to connect to my system when I already have the M.2 slot occupied by my current ssd.

I need both ssd connected to be able to clone unless of course i boot from the Macrium disc and just run the image clone from that. Not my ideal but workable. Thought having both ssd connected was more fail safe.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the reply. My question about installing the new ssd was how to connect to my system when I already have the M.2 slot occupied by my current ssd.

I need both ssd connected to be able to clone unless of course i boot from the Macrium disc and just run the image clone from that. Not my ideal but workable. Thought having both ssd connected was more fail safe.
The 840 EVO Pro is in the M.2 port?
I was not aware that the 840 came in that format.

We can still do this migration (different method), but please verify that the current 840 EVO Pro is actually in the M.2 port.

Last edited:

The Samsung SSD 840 PRO is a 2.5 ssd.
How is that installed in the m.2 slot?

chris18

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Oops, I have just checked my purchases and you are correct that the Samsung is a 2.5 inch drive (it came with W10 pre-installed). I could have sworn that I had the M2 slot occupied. I will need to check the motherboard in the next couple of days and see just what I have installed.

I have checked and my motherboard does have an M2 slot.

Hopefully the M2 slot is free as this will make life easier.

That's one of the problems of getting older.....you get confused!!!!

Last edited: