Question Upgrading laptop RAM from 8GB to 24GB or 16GB (2 x 8GB) - - - is it worth it ?

Jun 2, 2024
I have an HP Pavillion 15-ec0xxx Gaming Laptop with the following specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 3500H
1TB HDD
Nvidia GeForce 1650 - 4 GB
8 GB RAM ( 2400 MHz)

I sometimes get some lag while playing games and it's unplayable at times. Also, it's 8GB RAM ain't cutting it anymore. Almost all games require more than that. I want the games to be playable with no lag or stuttering.

My question: How much of a difference will it make if I add a 16GB RAM stick or a 8GB RAM stick to my laptop? (I got 2 slots, 1 of them taken up by 8gb stick, other one empty)

Also I had one more query : Will a RAM of 2400 MHz work fine with a RAM of 2666Mhz? I understand that it will run at the lowest speed (ie 2400Mhz) . Any other problems I might have?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you have 2 slots available, you should look into a 2x8GB DDR4-2400MHz dual channel ram kit for your laptop. It'd also be a good idea if you looked into ram kits with tight timings to help get some performance out of the laptop. If you were able to drop in DDR4-3200MHz that would've given you a higher bump in performance though your laptop won't allow you to do the latter. Dual channel is aways better than single channel.

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update prior to performing any hardware upgrades.

Reactions: satrow
Jun 2, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you have 2 slots available, you should look into a 2x8GB DDR4-2400MHz dual channel ram kit for your laptop. It'd also be a good idea if you looked into ram kits with tight timings to help get some performance out of the laptop. If you were able to drop in DDR4-3200MHz that would've given you a higher bump in performance though your laptop won't allow you to do the latter. Dual channel is aways better than single channel.

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update prior to performing any hardware upgrades.
Thanks for the reply

Jun 2, 2024
Thanks for the reply
I understand that running in dual channel would guarantee maximum performance and efficiency but would there be very significant and noticeable difference? . I currently have a 8 GB RAM from Kingston which is of 2400 MHz but I see that 8 GB RAM from Crucial of 2400 MHz are nearly double in prices as compared to Crucial 2666Mhz. So I was wondering whether I can get the 2666Mhz one and that whether that would work just fine

TRENDING THREADS