[SOLVED] Upgrading memory beyond 8gb for this board? (beyond the specs but...)

Lands

Commendable
May 22, 2020
Hi,

I have an old computer but it runs very well unless I'm really pushing it (like the new Adobe products do)

I'm exploring the idea of trying to get it working well enough before dropping $800+ on a new computer.

The specs for the 9 year old HP show 8gb of RAM is the max supported, but I wonder if that's because of limitations at the time that don't exist now. I've read anecdotal tales of exceeding the supported max on some computers. I have no idea what would limit this to 8bg (bios settings, hardware, etc...)

My computer and motherboard:

IPISB-CU (Carmel2)
Manufacturer: Pegatron​

I have found that they make 16gb kits that fit the specs of the type of ram, but no idea if my computer would recognize them ( Crucial 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR3L 1600 MT/s (PC3L-12800) Unbuffered UDIMM Memory)

Advice?

I really appreciate the help.

LB

Solution
You may be able to run the system with 16 gb, the chipset and CPU support that. If the HP BIOS will properly work with it is another story, you'd have to actually try it unless you find someone else with a similar system that did it. The RAM you have in the post is DDR3L, low voltage, check the voltage on the RAM you have and get the same type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155#:~:text=The H61 chipset only supports,sided DIMMs can be installed.

The H61 chipset only supports one double-sided DIMM Memory module (RAM module) per memory-channel and therefore is limited to 16 GB instead of the 32 GB like the others support.[5] On H61-based motherboards with four DIMM slots, only four single-sided DIMMs can be...
D

Deleted member 2720853

I would not invest any money in a HP Pavilion and instead go for a new system altogether.

This is coming from someone who was plagued by a baking oven HP Pavilion Power system that had components too hot for the case it was in.

You may be able to run the system with 16 gb, the chipset and CPU support that. If the HP BIOS will properly work with it is another story, you'd have to actually try it unless you find someone else with a similar system that did it. The RAM you have in the post is DDR3L, low voltage, check the voltage on the RAM you have and get the same type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155#:~:text=The H61 chipset only supports,sided DIMMs can be installed.

The H61 chipset only supports one double-sided DIMM Memory module (RAM module) per memory-channel and therefore is limited to 16 GB instead of the 32 GB like the others support.[5] On H61-based motherboards with four DIMM slots, only four single-sided DIMMs can be installed

Solution
There are a few of them at userbenchmark showing 2x8GB RAM. I even see part numbers from Kingston and Corsair listed.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/HP-h8-1120/7704
All of them seem to have i7 2600CPUs. But one is scoring 79% while the others are at 71- 73% CPU. You might try for an Intel XTU tune for Turbo speed on all cores. Throttlestop may do it also. Once you get beyond 8GB it doesn't look like too bad a system.

Last edited:

Lands

Commendable
May 22, 2020
supports one double-sided DIMM Memory module (RAM module) per memory-channel and therefore is limited to 16 GB instead of the 32 GB like the others support.[5] On H61-based motherboards with four DIMM slots, only four single-sided DIMMs can be installed
There are a few of them at userbenchmark showing 2x8GB RAM. I even see part numbers from Kingston and Corsair listed.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/HP-h8-1120/7704
All of them seem to have i7 2600CPUs. But one is scoring 79% while the others are at 71- 73% CPU. You might try for an Intel XTU tune for Turbo speed on all cores. Throttlestop may do it also. Once you get beyond 8GB it doesn't look like too bad a system.

THANK YOU both very much. I think I'm going to try it. First I might look into video card upgrades. If I can do that for $100-150 and another $50-80 on the memory, it might be worth a try vs the $1100 I'm looking at for the HP Omen.

Modern GPUs that are worth having tend to have 6-8GB of VRAM, and 8GB RAM really isn't enough to support them. I would do the RAM first. This is based on my experience with a Dell Optiplex 380 that has an actual 8GB limit. Even a 4GB GPU (GTX1050Ti) with 8GB RAM will have issues with a few programs. I ended up with a GTX1060=3GB as the best compromise. But 16GB would eliminate the need for that. You could probably sell your existing RAM to recover some of the cost. The 3GB card gives good FPS @ 1080 Medium, but falls on it's face in Supersposition 1080 High due to not enough VRAM. I would do the RAM first, and then get a 6GB GPU for the best use of what that system is capable of.
You could also shop Crucial .com for a guaranteed compatable RAM kit.

Lands

Commendable
May 22, 2020
Modern GPUs that are worth having tend to have 6-8GB of VRAM, and 8GB RAM really isn't enough to support them. I would do the RAM first. This is based on my experience with a Dell Optiplex 380 that has an actual 8GB limit. Even a 4GB GPU (GTX1050Ti) with 8GB RAM will have issues with a few programs. I ended up with a GTX1060=3GB as the best compromise. But 16GB would eliminate the need for that. You could probably sell your existing RAM to recover some of the cost. The 3GB card gives good FPS @ 1080 Medium, but falls on it's face in Supersposition 1080 High due to not enough VRAM. I would do the RAM first, and then get a 6GB GPU for the best use of what that system is capable of.
You could also shop Crucial .com for a guaranteed compatable RAM kit.

Thank you. I did install the 16gb. It worked and made a world of difference.

I'm now trying to get the GTX 1650 working, but having a few issues: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...work-on-older-computer.3631674/#post-21887579

:)