Upgrading mobo after windows 10 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

elementallime

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
Hi, I would like to know wether I should download the free upgrade of windows 10 before or after I choose to upgrade my mobo and cpu.
I will be upgrading the mobo and cpu in September, as far as I'm aware, using my oem code I can continue to use 8.1 without another os purchase.
My question is;
Will I be able to do the same with Windows 10, or should I wait until I have upgraded my hardware and then upgrade to 10.

Solution

Except that Windows 8.1 relaxed the restriction on moving the install between PC's you own. You can move it as many times as you want, as "OEM" copies don't actually exist anymore in the way that they did under Windows 7 and prior.

@ OP:

Microsoft has not actually said explicitly what will happen if you try to move/upgrade this way. I suspect it won't be an issue, but I would hold off until they clarify.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
OEM Installs bind to the motherboard, so, probably, you'll have to call MS tech support and explain your situation when you replace the board (thus, need to re-activate Windows) regardless.

Good luck!

EvilHamster

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2012
as the above post already said, you are missinformer.
Legally, you can only use an OEM lisense after vista as far as I know, to install on one PC. Whether the lisence will go through on the Microsoft servers for a second time, I am not sure, but I guess no.

So you can not install 10 on it either I am afraid.

BUT!, you can buy win 7 for very cheap now a days and so maybe you can still install win 7 on a new MObo and then upgrade that to 10? You can get 7 for maybe 50 dollars or less, so about 50% off on 10 which is a good deal for a fresh OS. BUT!!!! it might no longer work to install 7 now and upgrade to 10. Make sure you can do if you decide to do this.

Cheers.

Except that Windows 8.1 relaxed the restriction on moving the install between PC's you own. You can move it as many times as you want, as "OEM" copies don't actually exist anymore in the way that they did under Windows 7 and prior.

@ OP:

Microsoft has not actually said explicitly what will happen if you try to move/upgrade this way. I suspect it won't be an issue, but I would hold off until they clarify.

Solution

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying that!

Status
Not open for further replies.