Upgrading Mobo and CPU, how to transfer windows

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
I am upgrading a bunch of stuff, including the Mobo and CPU. I am keeping all of my hard drives.

I'd love to just plug the SSD with windows in and call it a day, but I'm guessing that's not an option.

Here's my problem: I don't know if what I have is OEM or Retail (as I've read that will make a difference). I got my PC right before windows 7 launched, so I have a CD that says:
"For Windows 7 Upgrade Option Program" on the top. I think this counts as OEM?

What is the best way to get windows on the new system? I'm actually doing my first self build and taking a few parts from existing build and keeping them for the new one.

Should I just expect to turn on PC and see it go to bios and not be able to launch windows?

Any help much appreciated!! thanks

Solution
The best way would be clean new OS install because of different drivers.
If you have a Windows key you can use it on any other mobo.
The install on an SSD takes less than 5 min.
You can use then use the offline activation process.
You will have to call an automated answering machine but it is super easy and quite fast.

SproutSchon

Reputable
Nov 24, 2014
The best way would be clean new OS install because of different drivers.
If you have a Windows key you can use it on any other mobo.
The install on an SSD takes less than 5 min.
You can use then use the offline activation process.
You will have to call an automated answering machine but it is super easy and quite fast.

Solution

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Thanks! Couple questions if you don't mind (I really want to know how this is going to go before disassembling everything):

To make sure, you are saying the Product Key on the box of an OEM upgrade would transfer to a different MOBO? I had read OEM was tied to the mobo it was installed on, just REALLY want to be sure.

IF so, do I need to do anything with the SSD before doing the new build, or just plug it into the new build with the old windows on it, then do a new install?

I guess I'm totally unsure of what I will see when I turn on new system: Just goes into bios and I put in the Windows CD?? Loads up the old windows I have on there, then I reinstall from there??

If your Windows version is OEM, you'll need to buy another license as when used, an OEM version is tied to the motherboard it was used on. If not, you're good to go with a clean install!

For the drives, you don't need to do anything. You'll be able to format it in the installation process.

To load from the CD, go in the BIOS and put the CD/DVD drive as the first drive to boot from.

Good news!

If your dvd is a windows upgrade product, it is considered as retail and can be freely transferred.

However, there may be a trick to doing a clean install.
Read this guide.
http://winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media-128512

It sounds like you are buying a new ssd too.
Great idea.

One thing, do not have any other drive attached during the process, or windows will try to put a hidden recovery partition on it.
You can attach the old drive later.

lations

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Oh great!! Thanks for the confirmation Geofelt about this being considered not OEM. I'll still do the offline/phone call thing if it doesn't all just work automatically, but this sounds promising.

I actually am not doing a new SSD. I have Windows on the fastest SSD I have, so I'm just going to do the fresh install on that. Thanks so much for the tip on not having other HDDs installed though, I may have just put all 5 of em in there when building if you didnt say that.

Great guide too!! Thanks!