Upgrading motherboard and HDD -> SSD

jb173

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015
Hey everyone, I have decided to upgrade my old AsRock 760 motherboard to a MSI 970 one as well as use a SSD for OS/programs + HDD for personal storage instead of just a HDD with everything on it. Every other piece of hardware would be remaining the same. I was wondering what are the best steps to clean the HDD to use it for just personal storage and installing windows 7 onto the SSD. Would I need to do any fancy data wiping and would a clean install of windows 7 be required? Thanks!

Welcome to Tom's Hardware, jb173!

Good job on the upgrade with an SSD for OS and HDD for storage.
Basically, you can simply back up the data you wish to save from the HDD somewhere else and then just re-format it through Disk Management.
As for the SSD setup, you'd definitely need to perform a clean install of the OS. Just make sure you UNplug the HDD until the OS installation on the SSD is completed, otherwise you might run into some booting issues later on.
After the SSD setup is done, plug the HDD > re-format > start using it for storage.
You'd also need to move the default documents/download location from the SSD to the HDD, here's a link that can help you with that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/310147?wa=wsignin1.0
Here are some other helpful links with step-by-steps for SSD + HDD setup optimizations:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1156654/seans-windows-7-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
http://www.overclock.net/t/664738/how-to-setup-ssd-boot-drive-with-secondary-hard-disc-optimization

Hope this helped! Let me know if you have any additional questions! :)
Good luck!
SuperSoph_WD

jb173

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

Hey thanks for all the useful links and info!

*side question*

If I'm using the same processor (AMD FX-6300) from my old board and moving it right over to my new board, would i need a fresh application of thermal paste? Or can I get away with what's left from the stock fan?

George Mulligan

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014
By changing your motherboard, you might need to buy a new Windows 7 copy. Windows 7 activation is tied to motherboard, so your current copy may not work. I'm 80% sure of this, but look into it some more before you're surprised.

by changing the motherboard, audio and chipset could be different. The chipset is essential to run a pc. You could get troubles to boot it or Windows could use the wrong drivers. Driver and registry issues are most likely, even if it works, the performance could be bad.

@Mulligan
That´s a clear no, you won´t have to buy another licence of Windows.
It´s right, that the activation is tied to the system, some parts can be changed without renewal of the activation. But by changing a motherboard, it could be that you have to reactivate windows by phone.

The licence key can be used on several computers, but not at the same time.

jb173

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

I'll be using an entirely fresh copy of Windows 7. No software or OS from my old system will be carried over to my new install, only the cleaned hardware.

Hi again, jb173!

Yes, you'd need to re-apply thermal paste on the CPU for sure. I'd also strongly recommend cleaning it before re-installing it on your new mobo.

Good luck! Hope we were helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD