[SOLVED] Upgrading Motherboard, CPU & Memory

PC_Khiladi

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
I plan to upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory only for now. Following is my current configuration:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero DDR3 2800 LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k Quad Core
Memory: Corsair Vengeance PRO 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 MHz
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H80i
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series HX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 Plus Gold
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600T Mid Tower (CC600TWM-WHT)
Main Drive: Samsung 850EVO 1TB 2.5 SATA III

I am planning to upgrade to a LGA 1511 board that supports Intel i7 9900k and DDR4 memory. My questions:

Will I able to just switch the the board, CPU and memory and use rest of my older parts like power supply, cooling, main drive and hopefully the case (if it fits the new board)
Also, is it advisable to clean the old liquid cooling surface and use it on the new chip?
Would 850 watts be adequate for the new components that I am considering?
Are there key things that I should be aware of or consider?

I can put parts together but cannot call myself an expert on these. As such, any advise you have would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Will I able to just switch the the board, CPU and memory and use rest of my older parts like power supply, cooling, main drive and hopefully the case (if it fits the new board)
Power supply = yes.
Storage drives = yes but you should clean reinstall Windows.
Case = yes assuming it takes normal ATX size (which your current motherboard is, so yes it does).
Cooling = maybe - you need to make sure you have the relevant connections to attach it to the new socket.

Also, is it advisable to clean the old liquid cooling surface and use it on the new chip?
If you mean clean off the thermal paste from your cooler - then absolutely yes. This is essential, not just...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Power supply = yes.
Storage drives = yes but you should clean reinstall Windows.
Case = yes assuming it takes normal ATX size (which your current motherboard is, so yes it does).
Cooling = maybe - you need to make sure you have the relevant connections to attach it to the new socket.

If you mean clean off the thermal paste from your cooler - then absolutely yes. This is essential, not just recommended.

Would 850 watts be adequate for the new components that I am considering?
What is your GPU?
If I were to take a wild guess from experience 850W is probably 300W more than you need! The importance is the quality, and the HX is excellent quality (also depending on how long you've had it).

Solution

PC_Khiladi

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Thank you PC Tailor for your prompt response.
Sorry, I forgot to mention GPU...I have nVidia GTX 1080Ti (EVGA).
Regarding the thermal paste, my initial question was, is it OK to clean the surface and reuse the cooler or it is not a good idea and that I should buy a new cooler. Thanks for pointing out the availability of relevant connection socket for the cooler in the new board, I had not thought about that.
I built the above computer in 2014 with all new parts. Hence, I have had the HX for nearly 5 years. Excellent indeed, it has been a very stable power source so far.
In fact, to my surprise (since I consider myself a novice), the entire build has served me well so far without any issues. I have pushed the limits on this with my flight sim hobby.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Regarding the thermal paste, my initial question was, is it OK to clean the surface and reuse the cooler or it is not a good idea and that I should buy a new cooler.
Oh yes, of course, reuse the cooler, just don't reuse the paste. The important bit is making sure it's actually compatible with the new socket, many coolers need a compatible backplate for this.

Ah I am a flight simmer myself. Used to live on FSX, but switched to X-Plane 11. Yes it's an excellent quality PSU.
All PSUs have a shelf life, but the HX have quite a long one when looked after.

And yes, the 1080 Ti can pretty easily run on a 650W usually, so you've got headroom+++.

Reactions: PC_Khiladi

PC_Khiladi

Honorable
Feb 1, 2014
Thanks again PC Tailor.
Good to know you are a flight simmer yourself. I was in FSX for a long time and switched to P3D. But now with v11.35 and ZibiMod, I find myself spending more time on X-plane 11.