Question Upgrading Motherboard, CPU RAM and Graphics card...Am I crazy?

Nov 5, 2019
I do a lot of video rendering, and have had a long run with a good computer, but the rendering process is getting slower and slower with every Adobe update that sends more of the rendering work to the graphics card instead of system RAM. I can't smoothly scrub in the editing window or even just play the project at all to see if my transitions look right. I do a lot of 3D environments using the camera in After Effects, but the buffering is so bad that all I get is an occasional still image. I spend 200 hours rendering and only then do I get to see if things look right or if the ground is sliding beneath the feet of whoever I've green-screened in.

That's the history, now for the question. I'm thinking of getting an nVidia RTX 2070 Super graphics card, which my current configuration can handle, although it won't be able to perform to its full potential. So I'm also thinking of a new motherboard with CPU and 64gig of DDR4 ram.

I need suggestions for what I can put in this computer for a Motherboard and whether it's worth it or if I should buy a whole new computer.

Here are the current specs for my computer:

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-3930K 3.2GHz 12MB SIX CORE
ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel MB with USB BIOS
64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz (PC3 10600) Quad Channel
CORSAIR 1TB Solid State Drive SATA III
WD 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB CACHE SATA 6.0Gb/s
Multiple external Drives with over 40TB total sorage
24X DUAL LAYER DVD-RW W/LIGHTSCRIBE
nVidia GeForce GTX570 1280MB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI PCI-Express VC
REALTEK 8-CHANNEL DIGITAL SOUND ONBOARD
REALTEK 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Card (onboard)
CORSAIR 600 WATT HIGH PERFORMANCE PSU
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 10 PROFESSIONAL 64-BIT CLEAN INSTALL

The computer was amazing when I bought it 10 years ago, and still outguns most of what is sold togay except in the graphics cards, but it is 10 years old, so I am also getting worried about CPU and RAM failure and anything else that may fail. I have recently replaced all the fans and the power supply.

Any suggestions on either which way to go or what replacement parts to buy? I am not a gamer. All I care about here is overhead and video editing and rendering ability. I use the Adobe Suite for software.

I don't have the money to buy the machine I really want, but can probably update this one if I can get away with it for a couple thousand.

Thank you in advance for your help.

In Ae, the 2070 performs nearly the same as a 2060 or 2060 super. So I'd rather go for the 2060 and use the remaining funds for a new cpu/platform.

Atm, the best overall cpu for Ae is the 9900k with AMD's ryzen not too far behind. But those chips are not an Hedt platform of which both AMD and Intel will be releasing a new platform in the coming months. If you can, I'd wait for the benchmarks on Intels new consumer and workstation parts and AMD's new threadripper parts and just pickup your choice of gpu in the interim. Later, just transfer the gpu over when you have a new platform.

In the mean time, do head over to puget and read up on their benchmarks.

Atm, the 9900k is the best, but after that there will be no upgrade as intel is switching to a new socket in a couple of months.

AMD is a bit slower, but the socket will still be upgrade-able for another year.

Here is an example Intel build
And a AMD build.

Side note, nvme ssd drives have become economically viable and are a fair bit faster in some situations.

Nov 5, 2019
Thank you for that excellent post and advice. The build examples are very useful. I am leaning towards the AMD build as I am basically impatient and don't want to wait for the next gen of Intel that will be upgradable. I believe that either build will be like night and day from what I currently have, so I will be happy with whatever I choose. I do this so infrequently, that I just don't have the knowledge of what's out there and how things compare. Thanks for your help. The fact that they both come in at under 2K is wonderful.