[SOLVED] Upgrading my 980ti, 5700xt seems somewhatsketch

Clinton_4

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
I'm about to upgrade from 980ti and really want to get the 5700xt, especially with those specs on paper...
I want 1440 on new AAA games~However, I have had a bad experience when I initially purchased a furyx years ago and driver issues were definitely a thing, particularly when comparing Nvidias user experience.
I hear alot of the same problems still exist( black screen/ horrible driver optimization). I personally know how much it sucks to have this kind of headache.
I also know I'll shill out alot more dough for team green, but I know the driver issues will ALWAYS be ironed out quickly and hardware is always optimised. I feel scorned by nvidia, and 5700xt is just so perfect... please tell me that I'm safe to buy this card, that drivers are ok and this is all a witch hunt~ I'm so scared to spend ~400$ish on a liability.
Honestly, budget isn't the issue, it just seems that this card is the best value~ I'm stuck between this or notching up to 2080 super.

Last edited:
Solution
Not to add to your paranoia, but I'm also timid about buying a 5700XT right now (my RX480 NEEDS to go). Although there are plenty of users who aren't having problems, there's certainly an alarming number of people who ARE. It seems that issues crop up especially when people have multiple programs open besides just the game they're playing (good for me, since I'm very "clean slate" when I play games nothing else is open).

My conspiracy theory is that there's something at the architecture or hardware level that's preventing a fix if it's taking AMD this long.....Also, if AMD had identified the problem but just need more time to release a fix, I think it's gotten to the point where they need to come out and say they're working on a fix...
Not to add to your paranoia, but I'm also timid about buying a 5700XT right now (my RX480 NEEDS to go). Although there are plenty of users who aren't having problems, there's certainly an alarming number of people who ARE. It seems that issues crop up especially when people have multiple programs open besides just the game they're playing (good for me, since I'm very "clean slate" when I play games nothing else is open).

My conspiracy theory is that there's something at the architecture or hardware level that's preventing a fix if it's taking AMD this long.....Also, if AMD had identified the problem but just need more time to release a fix, I think it's gotten to the point where they need to come out and say they're working on a fix to be released soon. Sweeping it under the rug like this seems fishy to me.

I'm just really not impressed with Nvidia right now. I'm sure their 3000 series launch in March will be impressive (going from 12nm to 7nm+ node), but even still, its going to be hard to sway me. AMD may be having a temporary rash of driver issues relating to (or because of) this new architecture, but they're pushing the envelope in that space. I absolutely respect and applaud that.

Last edited:
Solution
Feb 19, 2020
I actually just returned my Gigabyte 5700xt because of the driver issues. Some games you had to turn off of the freesync or would hard crash and I would have to turn off the power supply and turn it back on for my computer to boot, and others I could leave the freesync on and would not crash. Until AMD gets their act together with regards to there drivers I would stay the heck away from from them. The Nvidia 2060 super performs just as good as the 5700 xt. Both cards are pretty much neck and neck when looking at benchmarks. I have researched both extensively.

Reactions: Clinton_4
Feb 19, 2020
I'm about to upgrade from 980ti and really want to get the 5700xt, especially with those specs on paper...
I want 1440 on new AAA games~However, I have had a bad experience when I initially purchased a furyx years ago and driver issues were definitely a thing, particularly when comparing Nvidias user experience.
I hear alot of the same problems still exist( black screen/ horrible driver optimization). I personally know how much it sucks to have this kind of headache.
I also know I'll shill out alot more dough for team green, but I know the driver issues will ALWAYS be ironed out quickly and hardware is always optimised. I feel scorned by nvidia, and 5700xt is just so perfect... please tell me that I'm safe to buy this card, that drivers are ok and this is all a witch hunt~ I'm so scared to spend ~400$ish on a liability.
Honestly, budget isn't the issue, it just seems that this card is the best value~ I'm stuck between this or notching up to 2080 super.
Dollar to frame rate the 2080 super is a rip off. Yes the 5700 xt is the better buy, but the driver issues that are plaguing that card right now do not justify buying the 5700 xt, The 2060 super is around the same price on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0842SJT3...olid=3DT06H8Y1L5XB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it.
There are several youtubers that go into depth about both cards and both AMD and Nvidia,

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020

I'm in a similar boat as you're in. I want to get a new PC that can handle 1440p 100ish fps gaming, and I was gonna get the 5700 XT because of, as you said, the amazing price to performance value. But, also as you said, I've heard many users complaining about the drivers, and I really don't want to deal with that headache. I'm probably going to get the 2070 SUPER, because I want 5700 XT performance on 2060 SUPER drivers, so if you add that up, you get the 2070 SUPER. Even though it's $100 more, it's worth it IMO.

Clinton_4

Reputable
Feb 24, 2016
I'm in a similar boat as you're in. I want to get a new PC that can handle 1440p 100ish fps gaming, and I was gonna get the 5700 XT because of, as you said, the amazing price to performance value. But, also as you said, I've heard many users complaining about the drivers, and I really don't want to deal with that headache. I'm probably going to get the 2070 SUPER, because I want 5700 XT performance on 2060 SUPER drivers, so if you add that up, you get the 2070 SUPER. Even though it's $100 more, it's worth it IMO.
I'm definitely gonna have to agree, 100%. Its a damn shame too, I feel like they left so much on the table here, in more ways than one.
You just cant put a price on reliability.

Reactions: Fusion1005
I have msi 980ti and have to say this cards performance is crazy, with little tweaking i can hit 1500mhz on the core. What model do you have?

When you compare benchmarks on 980ti vs 5700xt they test 980ti on base clock 1000mhz (boost clock 1076mhz) which is the base model. You literaly can go from 1076 boost clock to 1500mhz on the core with some models and also raise memory clock substantially. Meaning im getting 1080 results (same as 5700xt stock) when i oc my 980ti.

Base clock comparison : https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-5700-XT/3439vs4045

As a 5700XT owner, I can say that the new driver does pretty much as it says with no black screens. Way more stable clocks while gaming too.

Drea.drechsler thats good to hear, hope this fixes the issues i was talking about. What do you mean more stable clocks? Was there also issues with downclocking or something like that? That sounds more like a hardware issue than software, what on earth they did to fix that.

And for op, it never hurts to try to overclock the 980ti. You might need to change thermal paste to something like GC Gelid extreme. I can get to 1450mhz without voltage increase and +100mv gives me about 1525-1550mhz on the core. About 1500mhz matches gtx 1080 stock performance.

...That sounds more like a hardware issue than software...

When I OC'd it would downclock, actually bounce around with a lot of dips and and spikes, quite a bit in some titles. Now it holds very steady. Some people had it way worse, not sure why. But 5700's are just like Vega and R-7 in that they operate in tight thermal control so you have to expect some clock movement as the GPU heats and cools in really heavy frame rendering action. Unless you ramp up the fan speed, of course.

But the real problem with 5700's were what they call 'black screens', where the display would go dark but game sounds are still being heard and computer operating. People reported it in different scenarios. More frequently with multiple monitors at different refresh rates but it would happen to mine with a single 144hz monitor. I did a driver-only install that pretty much fixed it for me which suggests the Radeon Settings app. was the source of the problems (for me at least).

With the new driver I'm now able to hit a mild overclock at a pretty decent undervolt and using Radeon Settings. It runs quite a bit cooler and has been rock-solid stable. Only one crash, a 'normal' CTD, and that was when I was pushing an undervolt really way to far to find the envelope edge.

Reactions: King_V

TRENDING THREADS