Upgrading my computer-Need parts advice

Casey F

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
So I am upgrading my low-end gaming rig I built in January, I built it for about $650 (didn't have to buy an OS, used a current WN7 version) and I was hoping to spend about $500 on upgrades, so I was looking for recommendations as to what to upgrade and what to upgrade it to.

Current parts list-

RAM-8gb Corsair Vengeance blue 1600mHz

Motherboard-MSI Computer Corp. Motherboard North Bridge AMD 970 & South Bridge AMD SB950 Chipset ATX DDR3 800 AMD AM3+ Motherboards (970dA-G46)

Hard drive-WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

CPU-AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition

Graphics Card-EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card 01G-P4-2650-KR

Disk Drive-Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST

Power Supply-Corsair Builder Series CX 430 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS (CX430)

I was hoping to upgrade my Hard Drive, as it seems a bit sluggish, as well as the graphics card, but I was advised to upgrade to a bigger power supply unit as well. Below are the current parts I am looking at-

SSD-http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EIQTOFY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

GPU-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

PSU-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139055

If anybody is willing, please advise me on these upgrades and what else I might upgrade as well, and as an added favor, if you know of any good video tutorials about replacing parts, feel free to link them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Solution

Casey F

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks for the answer, as far as I can find, the GTX 760 I originally looked at was actually cheaper on both Amazon and Newegg. Why specifically do you say I would beed a 500 watt psu, just because it's all that's neccesary or is there another reason? I will look up a few things on part replacement. Thanks!

Casey F

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks. Another interesting point somebody brought up was why upgrade this rig while building another rig (something I am doing while upgrading this one, building a simple $600 rig) was why not just take the money from upgrades and the new computer I want to work on and just spend it all on one brand new rig, a total of about $1000.

So, upgrade my current computer and build a simple $600 extra rig at the same time, or take all of said money and build a brand new $1k rig and keep my old computer as the extra?

Bonus question-What would you say has the best prices?

Jcomptech

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I think you should stick with Amazon or Newegg. I have purchased from Newegg and Amazon and they are both good. Prices may vary on different websites but you cannot go wrong wither either of those two vendors. Now for upgrades, I think you can go with a NIVIDIA Geforce GTX 760 with a Samsung SSD and a 650 watt power supply. If you want links or specific components please ask! :)

That is a good idea atually in your case, selling your system and adding that onto the upgrade budget would enable you to get a much faster system. Although wth your parts, you may want to wait a year or two and then do this since your current system is just fine as it is.

The drawback is that the longer you wait, the less your system will be worth, on the other hand the longer you wait the faster of a system you can get for the same money. It's really a toss-up with how you want to handle things.

Solution