Upgrading my CPU

johnm35353

Prominent
May 3, 2018
Currently, I am looking to upgrade my AMD FX-8350. The single core performance is causing many of my games to run slower than I would like. I have two options when it comes to upgrading. I can either go with an i5-8400 or an i7-4790k. I understand the i7-4790k is an outdated processor but because of the older architecture, it allows me to keep my ddr3 ram. If I upgraded to an i5-8400 on top of buying a new motherboard, I would have to buy all new ddr4 ram which is, in my opinion, fairly overpriced. If I went with a refurbished 4790k I would save around 130 dollars, but I would lack room for upgrade in the future. Would I run into any other problems buying a refurbished processor? Currently, I am leaning towards the 4790k because I am low on money right now. What are your opinions?

Solution
I7-4790K is pretty darn good CPU for its age, there is no mistake going for it, as I've seen many folks does use it even for 4K gaming without an issue, soo my best would be go for it, since you have DDR3, now if you wanna overclock it you need Z97 motherboard, since i use budget variant H81M i don't know which motherboard to recommend you.

The only problem with used CPU's is, you don't know how heavily overclocked was since its unlocked CPU.

Also which GPU you have currently, which PSU and on which resolution do you game on?
I7-4790K is pretty darn good CPU for its age, there is no mistake going for it, as I've seen many folks does use it even for 4K gaming without an issue, soo my best would be go for it, since you have DDR3, now if you wanna overclock it you need Z97 motherboard, since i use budget variant H81M i don't know which motherboard to recommend you.

The only problem with used CPU's is, you don't know how heavily overclocked was since its unlocked CPU.

Also which GPU you have currently, which PSU and on which resolution do you game on?

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think it is a good option, especially if you have something like 16GB of memory.

I recently bought a Dell Optiplex with an i7-4790 in it, quite the find at $250. Runs anything you can throw at it. The K is nice, basically equivalent to overclocked i7-4770k even if you drop it into a B or H board. If you get Z, 4.8Ghz is not too difficult a target with the right cooling.

The Core i7 4790K is an awesome option still. It's not far off from the 7700K in performance. It was new until 2015. My PC has a 4770K overclocked to just 4.0GHz and it does great. I play my games in 4K and I use a GTX 1080 ti. You really couldn't ask for a much better processor for the price.