Upgrading my gaming / media system, looking for "sanity" check

Luno

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Hello there knowledgeable people of this forum,

my current gaming system's CPU (i5 3570 non-K) is beginning to show its age in newer titles so I'm about to upgrade my system. I'm also adding a new case with better airflow and a few "silent" features.

My shopping list includes:

MSI B360M PRO-VDH
Intel i5 8400 with an Arctic Freezer 13
2x 8 G.Skill Aegis DDR4
Cooler Master Silencio 352

I plan to reuse from the current system:

KFA² GeForce GTX 1070 EX
2x SanDisk SSD PLUS (1x System and stuff, 1x Steam Library)
Corsair RM550x

I think I found a nice balance between price and performance and as far as I can tell everything "fits" - But I would still appreciate some feedback on the build and if there's anything that could be optimized. Also, some general questions:

■ Since the mainboard has an M.2 slot... Would an NVMe make sense for the system disk? (.... and do any of the SSDs out there actually offer noticeable differences in games performance?)
    ■ I'm not planning on doing any enthusiast stuff, so I guess I'll be okay with the B360 chipset?
    ■ I realize that the RAM is rated for 3000Mhz while the board is locked at 2666Mhz. That's just a convenience thing: The cheapest available memory that is on MSI's RAM compatibility list happens to be of this variety.
    ■ I thought about going B350 / Ryzen 5 2600x - but judging from benchmarks, those 2 are basically head-to-head performance wise (at least for my use cases), and with the i5 being around 70€ cheaper currently, that seems like a no-brainer.
    ■ The Intel stock cooler is probably enough for the 8400 - but I've had bad experiences with those things, so I went with a separate one. I've used Arctic Coolers in the past and they never disappointed, but if there's something better I'm open to suggestions.

All hints and suggestions very much appreciated :)

Solution
8400 is better at most games for sure.
Intel cooler is fine for 8400,

1. the new samsung evo 970 evo annouced yesterday. it's probably one of the best nvme ssd right now (besides the PRO series, and intel optane)
2. B360 was designed to work with these non-k processors, so it's fine.
3. you don't see much improvements between 2666 to 3000 mhz.
4. i don't think 2600x and b350 is a fair comparison as 2600x is very new and literally no price adjustment.
more suitable combo will be r5 1600 and b350. for very similar performance.
it will take advatnage of the 3000mhz ram, and overclockable to narrow the in game differences. plus a really decent cooler (you can oc the r5 with this cooler as the tdp is actually rated for 95W)
b350 also...
8400 is better at most games for sure.
Intel cooler is fine for 8400,

1. the new samsung evo 970 evo annouced yesterday. it's probably one of the best nvme ssd right now (besides the PRO series, and intel optane)
2. B360 was designed to work with these non-k processors, so it's fine.
3. you don't see much improvements between 2666 to 3000 mhz.
4. i don't think 2600x and b350 is a fair comparison as 2600x is very new and literally no price adjustment.
more suitable combo will be r5 1600 and b350. for very similar performance.
it will take advatnage of the 3000mhz ram, and overclockable to narrow the in game differences. plus a really decent cooler (you can oc the r5 with this cooler as the tdp is actually rated for 95W)
b350 also offers the more upgrade path as its supported till 2020.

could be another good candidate.
5. you can use the intel cooler as many benchmark shows that the stock cooler can run the cpu in various turbo modes without thermal throttle.

Solution