Upgrading my Home Network

Mar 2, 2023
Hi all, I'm brand new here... hoping my questions aren't toooo basic. I'm looking to update my home system.
CURRENTLY:
Cable company supplied AC wireless router/modem with 5- 1gig ports. A 16 port Trendnet 1 gig router unmanaged.
My ISP is providing me with "extreme fiber 300mps" The current setup uses the wireless modem to send a signal to the unmanaged switch, which is then split out to each room of the house with CAT 6 wiring.

I'm thinking about upgrading my swith and router to 2.5 g, which i believe will speed up my internal file transfers, and maybe speed up my access to the internet. I know that i'm only going to get a max of 300 in and out from the isp. The desktops will have new 2.5ghz pcie cards installed.

Given the ISP speed of 300mps supposedly up and downloads, am I better off staying with 1 gig switching and saving a few bucks or should I continue my upgrade thoughts. My notebooks have USB C and 2.5 ethernet dongles on them now.

Thank you for any and all thoughts you might have for me.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In a situation like this, I think you are on the right track. The real question becomes, what large files do you need to move across your LAN of which you don't have the time to wait for and is worth spending money towards?

Don't answer, specifically, just a thought.

Reactions: DaFadda
Mar 2, 2023
In a situation like this, I think you are on the right track. The real question becomes, what large files do you need to move across your LAN of which you don't have the time to wait for and is worth spending money towards?

Don't answer, specifically, just a thought.
I forgot to ask my second question: I was told that if I attached a slower (1g) perepheral onto my 2.5 g switch, it would slow everything down to 1 gig. Any truth to that rumor?

Mar 2, 2023
How often are you transferring large files around?

That upgrade would also involve the LAN ports in all the systems, and the ethernet cables.
Thanks for the response. You are correct concerning the cabling. When I built my home, I spec'd CAT6 everywhere, so I don't have to crawl the attic with new cable drops. Whew!

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for the response. You are correct concerning the cabling. When I built my home, I spec'd CAT6 everywhere, so I don't have to crawl the attic with new cable drops. Whew!
You didn't answer the question. Unless you have daily transfers of multiple gigabytes, 2.5Gb may not be worth the cost because the capacity will go largely unused.

USAFRet

Titan
Just saying "CAT6" doesn't mean a lot.
Solid copper, sufficient wire gauge, properly terminated, etc, etc.

There is a LOT of fake cable out there.