Upgrading my i7 6700 but to what???

frilioth

Prominent
Nov 8, 2017
Hi

I've had my PC for a couple of years and so far it's served me very well. However, I've recently purchased the new assassins creed game and it's coming up short. So I'm looking to the experts on this forum for a little guidance on how to get the best bang for my buck.

You can have a look at what I currently have on the HP Support website.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04843004

The PC is used predominantly for gaming and youtube video Editing using sony Vegas pro 14.

I guess my question is should I upgrade the parts or just upgrade to a new PC?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Solution
the r9 370 already installed in the envy needs 150Watt so minimum one 6Pin PCIe power plug should be there.
The dimensions should be at least (referring to the R9 370):
Form Factor: Full-height PCB with ATX dual slot bracket
Dimensions: 6 Layer / (4.4 in x 7.8 in)

gtx970 and 980TI were also build in the envy 750-100 series, probably with more powerful power supplies, yours with 300W is too weak.

Would try a GTX1060 6GB with one 6pin PCIe power

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Your major problem is NOT your processor. Its your GPU being weak. Start by turning down the details.

If you have money for an upgrade then you're gonna need a new GPU. However anything more than a GTX 1050 ti (which isn't a huge upgrade) is going to require a PSU upgrade, and that case is not made for that (i can't find much but it seems to not have a standard sized PSU). That means a new case as well. That motherboard should fit any MiniAtx case.

the r9 370 already installed in the envy needs 150Watt so minimum one 6Pin PCIe power plug should be there.
The dimensions should be at least (referring to the R9 370):
Form Factor: Full-height PCB with ATX dual slot bracket
Dimensions: 6 Layer / (4.4 in x 7.8 in)

gtx970 and 980TI were also build in the envy 750-100 series, probably with more powerful power supplies, yours with 300W is too weak.

Would try a GTX1060 6GB with one 6pin PCIe power

Solution