Upgrading my new desktop already?

Dev_wolf

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
So I have been having an issue with gta 5 (refer to my other post) my pc seems to be crashing when playing sooooo here are my specs right now

CPU: AMD FX 8150
GPU:1060 MSI 6GB
Mobo: Asus m5a97
PSU: CROSAIR 650W BRONZE
16GB RAM

ALL PARTS ARE BRAND NEW NO OLD PARTS IN HERE!

Current budget 0.00 (will be this way for a few months since I just spent about 2k I'm upgrading it with all new parts this also takes into account the old parts I bought a year ago and lost quit a bit of money on them)

Looking to get the i7 7770k

And the MSI Z170A SLI Plus LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Maybe the evga Super nova 750w psu

Thoughts on this or maybe if you can help me fix my gta 5 issue that basically cause my pc to crash on my other thread

Solution

80 is within safe levels especially if doing a stress test like p95.

But maybe you didn't install your CPU cooler right? Did you put thermal paste on? did you screw it down properly? did you maybe screw it down to tight?

But PC shutting off with no bluescreen is either a heat or PSU issue. and your PSU is definitely not good for a gaming rig, regardless of it's wattage.

Upgrading the CPU won't change anything.

Dev_wolf

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
No clue all I know is it's 650w and it's of the bronze category I lied though I forgot it's about a year old now the psu

So I'm thinking if it's a mobo issue should I just plop a new mobo and psu? Cuz everything else runs fun then again the crashing only happens in gta 5 I can play skyrim spec edition on ultra along with Witcher 3 and others but I play gta 5 and the hole pc just shuts off no bsod unless it has happened 2 times or more within the hour

here's the problem.

That generation of FX processors are not great, often an i3 can be as good, and an i5 a lot better, so there are many things to be said for your 7700k proposal, although a 7600k would be just as good. But that is not solving the problem.

However if you are going to spend on a new mobo, then it might be the ideal time to make that move, and if it is just the mobo then you just need mobo+cpu+ram, else you'll need the PSU too.

Can you open it up and look at the PSU?

nerro120

Honorable
Feb 13, 2014
My gta 5 was as well and I run an i5 4590 and an r9 280 non x. Try verifying the game cache through steam and see what happens, might take awhile but that's what fixed it for me. The game would crash but everything was normal and within spec

game junky

Distinguished
Are you using an aftermarket CPU cooler? My 8150 ran hot with the stock cooler so I switched to a 212 Evo and it was much more stable without a lot of noise or expense. That's the cheapest possible fix though it's a shot in the dark. See if ASUS has a temp gauge in your software package and if so watch during load to see if it spikes.

As stated above, it could be a bad part - if the power supply had a bad rail and it overloaded it would crash or restart. If you had a bad memory DIMM or DIMM slot, it might BSOD or freeze.

Dev_wolf

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Yes defo have a cpu cooler its the hyper Evo 212 as well temps seem fine even on a full load I can run gta 5 at very high/ultra and I popped on a few sp mods to push the pc as far as I could and it was fine for 4 hours it stayed between 40 and 54 as Max temp so I figured everything was fine

Ran it next day and I can play for 15 min or 6 hours and then the hole pc shuts right off without warning

game junky

Distinguished
eek, there are a lot of possibilities - you can try uninstalling the game, uninstalling steam, installing steam, reinstalling the game, uninstalling your video drivers, reinstalling your video drivers direct from nvidia. That's not an insignificant amount of time though

I had to go to extremes with BF4 because of punkbuster garbage so you have to decide if the juice is worth the squeeze.

Dev_wolf

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
I thank you all for your help I will be attempting a run with win 7 once I get it up and running and if process repeats I guess I'll upgrade my cpu and psu again for the 2nd time this month lol

game junky

Distinguished
You should be able to get an RMA on your power supply if it's been that recent - I believe I had a Corsair CX series PSU replaced within the first 3 months.

CPU upgrade is probably overkill unless you can return your old CPU. RyZen is going to be a significant upgrade if you want to stay with AMD but it would require you to replace your motherboard and your memory since it requires DDR4 & it's a different socket type. If not, you're gonna need to go Intel. 7th Gen is just now releasing so you can either get the latest and greatest (still requiring DDR4) or get a 4th/5th gen i5 unlocked on the gray market and it's corresponding motherboard.

Your call - I would check the return policy on those parts (including the restocking fee if that applies) and then decide what you're willing to do or spend to fix the problem. 650W is more than enough power even if you're going with an uber demanding AMD chip like the 9590 and other than the 9590, there isn't another AMD chip that should fit your socket (might require a BIOS update) that's a significant performance increase. The 9370 isn't bad but it's not going to be noticeable except maybe run a little cooler if that's a concern.

80 is within safe levels especially if doing a stress test like p95.

But maybe you didn't install your CPU cooler right? Did you put thermal paste on? did you screw it down properly? did you maybe screw it down to tight?

But PC shutting off with no bluescreen is either a heat or PSU issue. and your PSU is definitely not good for a gaming rig, regardless of it's wattage.

Upgrading the CPU won't change anything.

Solution