[SOLVED] Upgrading my old PC! Thoughts, recommendation?

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Hi everyone,

My current pc is 6 years old (built-in 2014), and I think I'd benefit from upgrading this system. I do a lot of things with this system, from gaming (Wow, Minecraft, and recent titles such as AC-Odyssey, Control, Sekiro, ...) to a workstation ( Adobe Photoshop, Premiere Pro, VM). I currently have 3 monitors attached to this rig, two dell monitors (Dell - 27" LED QHD - 2560 x 1440 - 144Hz) and one AOC 2367.

My current old system from 2014:

For now, I'm only thinking about upgrading MB, CPU, Ram, SSD(NVME), and PSU if necessary. I have money for upgrading GPU but right now this one works, so I'm gonna hold on to it till next year (Spring) to get another one. As for Ram, I prefer 32GB since from workload, it's up to 14-15GB consistently.

Current budget: $1000-$1400

These three lists that I came up with, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts, suggestions on these lists.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K 3.6 GHz 10-Core Processor ($434.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z490-A ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($211.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.66 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW3 HYBRID GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred V2 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1016.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-23 14:43 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW3 HYBRID GAMING Video Card
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred V2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $729.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-23 14:45 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB FTW3 HYBRID GAMING Video Card
Case: Antec Eleven Hundred V2 ATX Mid Tower Case
Total: $649.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-23 14:47 EST-0500

Solution
Like these two? One, Two

Lmao, if there no shortage of CPUs, I'd tried water cooling since that'd be my first time doing it, and not messing things up in the process haha.
Yes those two are good. I am more of a Corsair fan but I that's just because of rgb lol. Performance wise I think air coolers are more efficient, seen in certain Linus videos. And U12a is one of the best you'll get

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Skip the Intel. Rest depends on whether money is an object lol
Lol, the only reason I included Intel was mostly because of AMD stocks not being available.
For nvme m.2, do you have particular brand in mind? I picked crucial and Samsung, was wondering if you guys have any other brand in mind.

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
What do you guys think about the Mboard? While checking my list on PPL, I'm getting this as a warning "Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions,"
does it mean that usually I have to just update the BIOS and there is no compatibility issues?

Lol, the only reason I included Intel was mostly because of AMD stocks not being available.
For nvme m.2, do you have particular brand in mind? I picked crucial and Samsung, was wondering if you guys have any other brand in mind.
I have all Samsung SSDs, none NVMe. The software is great. I would've picked crucial because it's way cheaper (£20 diff in 1TB), but no service centers for crucial here

I've seen many reviews say the 970 is the fastest ssd but now there's also a 980 lol

Reactions: Shahinpb
What do you guys think about the Mboard? While checking my list on PPL, I'm getting this as a warning "Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions,"
does it mean that usually I have to just update the BIOS and there is no compatibility issues?
The Tomahawk has an M Flash feature that allows to update BIOS using a flash drive without the CPU installed. So does the UNIFY. So no worries there

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
I have all Samsung SSDs, none NVMe. The software is great. I would've picked crucial because it's way cheaper (£20 diff in 1TB), but no service centers for crucial here

I've seen many reviews say the 970 is the fastest ssd but now there's also a 980 lol
LOL Thats def something I need to consider. Speed was the main factor, also the price range. If the price is ideal, I was thinking about getting two, if possible. (Thanks for confirming that for crucial)
The Tomahawk has an M Flash feature that allows to update BIOS using a flash drive without the CPU installed. So does the UNIFY. So no worries there
Gotcha, thanks for the tip.

-
BTW, if I wanted to overclock these AMD CPUs in the future (maybe for testing or something), is there any specific CPU cooling that I need to aim for?

LOL Thats def something I need to consider. Speed was the main factor, also the price range. If the price is ideal, I was thinking about getting two, if possible. (Thanks for confirming that for crucial)

Gotcha, thanks for the tip.

-
BTW, if I wanted to overclock these AMD CPUs in the future (maybe for testing or something), is there any specific CPU cooling that I need to aim for?
I don't live in UK though. I'm pretty sure there are centers in the UK for Crucial.

I'd suggest some strong air cooling like NH-U12A or at least 240mm AIO or custom loop

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
I don't live in UK though. I'm pretty sure there are centers in the UK for Crucial.

I'd suggest some strong air cooling like NH-U12A or at least 240mm AIO or custom loop
Like these two? One, Two

Lmao, if there no shortage of CPUs, I'd tried water cooling since that'd be my first time doing it, and not messing things up in the process haha.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt
Like these two? One, Two

Yes those two are good. I am more of a Corsair fan but I that's just because of rgb lol. Performance wise I think air coolers are more efficient, seen in certain Linus videos. And U12a is one of the best you'll get

Solution

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
So, I'm about to purchase the second AMD2 build that I mentioned above, but I have some questions that I can't figure out.

From the manual (here is the link, page 24), I cant seem to understand if I can use all SATA 6 Gb ports (I have 4 hard drives, 2 SSD, 2 HDD right now from old build) along with 2 "Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 GEN4" that I'd like to purchase for this build.

Does it mean that if I use more nvme m.2 drive in its PCI-E slots, it will use the data the SATA port which I have to remove one of HDD or SSD?

Last edited:
So, I'm about to purchase the second AMD2 build that I mentioned above, but I have some questions that I can't figure out.

From the manual (here is the link, page 24), I cant seem to understand if I can use all SATA 6 Gb ports (I have 4 hard drives, 2 SSD, 2 HDD right now from old build) along with 2 "Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M.2 GEN4" that I'd like to purchase for this build.

Does it mean that if I use more nvme m.2 drive in its PCI-E slots, it will use the data the SATA port which I have to remove one of HDD or SSD?
No. This board can accommodate 7 drives
3 M.2, and 4 SATA. It only has 4 SATA ports. If you want more ports I'd suggest buy a similarly priced B550. My Aorus B550 Pro AC has 6 SATA and 2 M.2 ports

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
No. This board can accommodate 7 drives
3 M.2, and 4 SATA. It only has 4 SATA ports. If you want more ports I'd suggest buy a similarly priced B550. My Aorus B550 Pro AC has 6 SATA and 2 M.2 ports
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure but I remember from somewhere that in some board if you use gen 3 (instead of GEN4) M.2 drive, somehow uses one of your SATA port. (I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but that's what I heard.)

7 is enough lol. If I add up all of my SATA storage, I have like 30TB storage, so if I want more, I guess I have to get SATA6 expansion card for one of the PCI-E.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure but I remember from somewhere that in some board if you use gen 3 (instead of GEN4) M.2 drive, somehow uses one of your SATA port. (I'm not sure if that's correct or not, but that's what I heard.)

7 is enough lol. If I add up all of my SATA storage, I have like 30TB storage, so if I want more, I guess I have to get SATA6 expansion card for one of the PCI-E.
I can't find anything on that SATA port being used though. I take it nobody would need over 30TB so this is good enough lol

I
Gotcha! I went with Seasonic focus px-850 ( I wish there was one with 1000W). BTW, have you used any custom PSU cable extension mods?
I haven't used extensions. Because my case is a 275R. Very restrictive room for cable management.

I used Corsair's individually sleeved cables, they go directly into the PSU. And I think they're prettier than most extensions

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
It seems my PSU cables work fine for now lol (they fit well).

So, I've managed to purchase everything except for the CPU which is not available everywhere except on eBay (Scalper, ofc).

Is there a similar cheap CPU that you can recommend me getting it, to finish the setup and test everything while 5900x get in-stock later?

It seems my PSU cables work fine for now lol (they fit well).

So, I've managed to purchase everything except for the CPU which is not available everywhere except on eBay (Scalper, ofc).

Is there a similar cheap CPU that you can recommend me getting it, to finish the setup and test everything while 5900x get in-stock later?
Uhhhh well you have a ton of CPUs, if you don't wanna do much other than game atm, I think a 3300X will suffice, if you don't plan to sell the CPU, or lose less money in the process. Otherwise a 3600 for productivity will serve you better, with equal gaming performance. It's essentially a 3300X + 2 cores

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Uhhhh well you have a ton of CPUs, if you don't wanna do much other than game atm, I think a 3300X will suffice, if you don't plan to sell the CPU, or lose less money in the process. Otherwise a 3600 for productivity will serve you better, with equal gaming performance. It's essentially a 3300X + 2 cores

These CPUs prices... Damn! Finding that model, is like paying for Ryzen 9 5900x, JFC.

I guess I should probably cancel my motherboard and get one for Intel CPU give current nature of ryzen, especially 5900x which is not gonna be in stock for a long time.

Reactions: Prad_Bitt