Upgrading my PC and need some advice

trose07

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
I currently have this

AMD Athlon(tm) II x4 640 Processor 3.00GHz

8 GB of RAM

Radeon HD7770 overclock edition (if that means anything idk)

I want to upgrade so I can play next gen games like Far Cry 4 and other new games on my PC. I can play Shadows of Mordor on medium without a problem and want to ensure this type of performance on higher graphics and more demanding games.

I've been thinking a Radeon R9 270x but don't know what kind of processor to get.

My budget would be about 300$ for both the graphics card and the processor. I've seen the card for about 190$. I've been told a Phenom quad core would be could but I don't know.

What kind of processor should I get in your opinion?

Solution
You can see if there are any buyers for your CPU/motherboard/memory on Ebay to make up the difference after you pick the parts you want. Wait for a deal to come along on slickdeal. Or see if you can get a part time job if you have the time.

This is the lowest priced combination I can put together on partpicker. Total comes out to about 360 USD.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mP3rmG

morerice

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
@ DonkeyRyder he won't be able to get the fx6300 without also upgrading the motherboard and possibly memory since it's a different socket than the 640.

@ trose07 I'd recommend you save until you can afford a full system upgrade. If you need to upgrade something right now, purchase the graphics card. As I mentioned above, a CPU upgrade usually don't come cheap as they usually come as a package with the motherboard and motherboard compatible ram.

trose07

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

is there anything I can do about my processor without a full system upgrade, I'm 15 without a job so that would be a long time waiting to upgrade.

morerice

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
You can see if there are any buyers for your CPU/motherboard/memory on Ebay to make up the difference after you pick the parts you want. Wait for a deal to come along on slickdeal. Or see if you can get a part time job if you have the time.

This is the lowest priced combination I can put together on partpicker. Total comes out to about 360 USD.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mP3rmG

Solution

trose07

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

That's actually not as bad as I expected for everything. How well would that run next gen games like Far Cry 4 (I know i keep bringing it up but it's the only high end game I can think of) though? As long as can run it on at LEAST medium I'm a happy camper. And my current RAM is 8gb and DDR3 or are the ones you picked specifically meant for that motherboard?

trose07

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

that's great, my monitor (which is a small tv) only goes up to 720p so that wont be a problem. Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate. if you have any more advice please let me know.

morerice

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010

Those are the minimum requirements and this build meets it no problem. I was speaking to the recommended requirements.

trose07

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

My bad, I didn't see that. Sorry