[SOLVED] Upgrading my PC; opinions/recommendations?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Greetings, I was soon intending to upgrade to a newer PC.

My current setup is Phenom II X6 1055t, 8GB RAM, R9 270X.

I have already bought 2x4GB of HyperX Fury 2666 MHz RAM as it was on discount for 60 euros total.

I already own an SSD, HDD, and am fitted with a good PSU that should be enough for my needs (XFX TS 550W).

The parts I require are a CPU, GPU and motherboard. I would really want a Ryzen 5 2600 paired with
one of these 4 B450 motherboards:
  1. Gigabyte B450M S2H (71 euros)
  2. MSI B450M PRO VDH-PLUS (82 euros)
  3. MSI B450M PRO-M2 (83 euros)
  4. Gigabyte B450M DS3H (88 euros)
There are no B350's available here, and I may decide to overclock at some point in the future.

I also cannot really decide what graphics card to get. There is an MSI GTX 1060 3GB available for ~240 euros,
and there are GTX 1660's available for 285+ euros. There are also 1050 Ti's and 1650's, but I don't think those would
be worth over the 1060 or 1660. Is the additional 50 euros for the 1660 worth it?

EDIT: There are no RX580's available.

An ASRock RX590 is available for 240 euros, but I've heard it's incredibly loud.

Also, I would like to hear your opinion on the single-fan 1060's intended for compact builds, like the
ASUS PH 1060. I understand it's a 1060, but is the single fan enough for cooling?

Thank you for all your opinions and recommendations.

Solution
I've considered the RX570, but I just don't think it's worth buying as an upgrade to the R9 270X, even though it's relatively cheap. Since I would like to play the newer/upcoming titles such as DOOM Eternal, RAGE 2, Wolfenstein 2, CoD MW etc, I think getting a card stronger than the RX570 should be a better investment. But nevertheless, I'll list the graphics cards I have available.

RX570:
  1. ASRock Phantom GDR 4GB - 159 euros
  2. ASUS EX O4G - 165 euros
  3. Gigabyte Gaming 4GB MI Rev 1.1 - 190 euros
  4. Gigabyte Gaming 4GB Windforce - 205 euros
There are a few 1050 Ti's and 1650's around the 210-235 euro mark.

An MSI GTX 1060 Gaming 3GB is occasionally available for ~240 euros (I assume it is sold out and then restocked...
The RX580 8GB is a pretty good deal for that price, BUT . . I'd still be hesitant because of ASRock's cooler not being that good. As you've pointed out, it's noisy.

It's good from a price/performance point of view, but I personally would be uncomfortable with the extra noise. I would still recommend the 1660. If it were another RX580 with a better cooler, I might choose to go with it.
If there was another RX580, I wouldn't think twice about buying it to be honest. Though, I've been reading a bit more in depth about the cooler, now that this ASRock 580 is available, and it seems Guru3D got a noise level of 44dB, while KitGuru got 53dB. Taking into account this noise level test, maybe it doesn't sound too bad? Then again, he says in Witcher 3, the fans was running at 70%, so maybe it would get annoying after some time.

I don't know, I would still very much fancy a 1660, but I'll have to think about it. Will probably wait quite a while as it's way easier to pick a CPU :(

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm personally a little sensitive to it. Also, from the this portion of the Tom's Hardware review of it:

After adjusting the fans up to the speeds measured in a closed case, our acoustic equipment reports a noise output of 45.3 dB(A). That's well above the psychologically (and acoustically) important 40 dB(A) limit at 50cm. The following frequency spectrum analysis gives us a better idea where the sound comes from.

The price is good for the performance. I know the noise level would annoy me. If you're using a headset when gaming, though, it might be tolerable.

Reactions: LukaBoki