Question Upgrading my PC, what first?

Jun 3, 2019
Hello there, I am looking to upgrade my build and now I want your tips in what order I should do that and I want to know if there is anything I could change about it. Keep in mind my budget is not as high and I probably dont want to spend much more than the setup that follows after my current build.

My current build is as follows:

Gigabyte H97 D3H

i5 4460

R9 280X 3GB

bequiet Pure Power 630W 80+ Bronze

8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 MHz

128 GB SSD

500GB HDD

BitFenix Shinobi Black

The parts I want to upgrade to:

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Ryzen 5 2600

GTX 1660 Ti

Maybe a bequiet 750W Power 11 80+ Gold

16GB DDR4 RAM 2666MHz

240GB WD Green M.2 2280 SSD additional to my Sata SSD and HDD

+ a new case, maybe the NZXT H500

Now my question is, what upgrade should I make first to get more power, since I cannot afford everything at once. Would it be better to get the new Mainboard, CPU and RAM first or should I go for the GPU? Also should I get another card that the 1660 Ti (same budget tho)? I thought about the RX Vega 56 but TDP is really high and my experience is AMD cards are pretty hot

Games I am looking forward to play in the next time:

Total War Warhammer 2 (actually my main game atm but I want it to perform much more smooth and run it on higher settings because I only get 40FPS in battles)

A Plague Tale

Modded Fallout 4 or Skyrim

Mordhau

Sekiro

No Mans Sky

Total War 3 Kingdoms

I would appreciate any help :)

I'd wait a month and get the R5 3600, for starters.
Your PSU is definitely the last thing that needs upgrading, for now.
Upgrading your graphics card first will give you better immediate performance, but your CPU will most likely bottleneck you anyway... But you might not see much improvement going for the CPU first either... Considering the current state of the graphics card market, and the low RAM prices right now, it's probably a good idea to go for the CPU +motherboard+RAM first.

Jun 3, 2019
What country are you in?

What is your initial upgrade budget? $50 is a lot different than 1/2 the full system overhaul cost.
I live in Germany. My budget is... Well. Budget. Not a certain number but I don't want to spend that much money... Like an i7 or a High End Nvidia Card would be too much for now. I also would go for AMD since I may upgrade to a Ryzen 9 when the 2600 would start to make problems

Jun 3, 2019
Upgrading your graphics card first will give you better immediate performance, but your CPU will most likely bottleneck you anyway... But you might not see much improvement going for the CPU first either... Considering the current state of the graphics card market, and the low RAM prices right now, it's probably a good idea to go for the CPU +motherboard+RAM first.

Well considering the games I play what would be the best option just for now? The rest will follow next month tho so it won't be for a long time until I make the next upgrade. Also I am not sure about the 1660 Ti, but a lot of people recommended it though. The Vega seems cool tho but as I said before... Not sure about the TDP and the heat tho. And the RX 590 seems nice too considering 8GB VRAM but I hear a lot of people say the 1660 Ti is still a better option because of its speed

Wolfshadw

Titan
The only things that can be carried forward from your current build are the case, power supply (maybe), the SSD/HDD, and the graphics card. I'd recommend replacing the graphics card first as that can be used with your current system. Then, when you can afford it, get the rest of your core system (CPU/Motherboard/RAM).

-Wolf sends

Agree with waiting for Ryzen 3000. Are you gaming at 1440P?. Your PSU is fine. Perhaps if you omit the PSU and/or case upgrade you can get a RTX 2060.

Here you can see what a 1660ti would do with your current CPU on high settings:

You can experiemnt with the above trying different GPUs and CPUs and different settings such as medium or high.

https://www.gpucheck.com/gpu-benchmark-graphics-card-comparison-chart

rookieGamer

Honorable
May 16, 2017
honestly wait few months and save up..
- wait for new B500series motherboards and 3gen ryzen to hit market
-for GPU, nvidea is likely to come up with some new ones
-you PSU is more than enough, you really dont need 750w PSU
-for aftermarket cooler unless you planning some serious overclocking you really dont need that, stock cooler is more than enough even for little overclocking.
-team green is still better than team Red when it comes to GPU.. if you can buy team greens GPUs

In addition to the suggestion to wait and see what Ryzen 3000 CPUs have to offer when they launch next month, it might also be worth waiting a bit to see what the new Radeon graphics cards have to offer as well.

It's not yet known for sure what price points AMD will be targeting with their initial offerings, but pricing around the GTX 1660 Ti or RTX 2060 seems possible. Those upcoming graphics cards will likely also be significantly more efficient than AMD's existing cards, so they will most likely draw less power and generate less heat compared to Vega.

Not a whole lot is known about their specifics in terms of performance and pricing yet, but AMD will be revealing a lot more about them at E3, which is about a week from now. It is also rumored that Nvidia might potentially be launching updated versions of their RTX cards, and possibly adjusting prices to stay competitive.