Upgrading my Pentium B950 to an i7-2620M

Derrick DeWitt

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
After having much success in determining the upgradability of my CPU despite it having an integrated GPU (big shoutout to the people who aided me on the forum), i decided to go with from my Intel Pentium B950, to an Intel Core i7-2620M.

This particular i7 is listed in my HP Pavilion g6-1c54wm owners manual as compatible with g6s, has the same HM65 chipset, same wattage, and works with my 64 bit OS. It is also the most powerful processor and graphics card that a g6 can handle. It will also take me from an Intel HD Graphics GPU to an Intel HD Graphics 3000. Yes, i know the Intel HD graphics cards are hot garbage compared to their AMD and Nvidia counterparts, but to go from an HD to an HD 3000 is a large jump nonetheless.

Completing the above and maxing my ram will only cost me about $140, which is quite literally chump change for a lil bit of longevity. The only gaming i do on my PC is a few MMOs here and there, and a couple of modifiable blockbusters (Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 3 etc) and it runs with little to no problems, but Im starting to see a lil bit of fatigue in my machine and i want to keep it going just a little while longer.

Now my question to the community is this: Is this a good move to delay purchasing another PC for a few more months? Will the extra 1.3 GHz, graphical power, and another 4GB of DDR3 increase this PCs longevity if only for a few months (as thats all i REALLY need)?

I am by no means beating a dead horse lol, as Im not afraid to move on, but i cant do that until at least January of next year. Im 19, paying for my own car, rent, and tuition so i dont want to add another expense until those things are paid for. Not to mention, $140 is quite inexpensive.

stedaley

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
Well it might be worth cleaning your pc with things like CCleaner etc, for cleaning your temp files and others that arent needed,

may be also beneficial to uninstall all your programs you dont need and reinstall all the ones that you use, might save you abit of money!!

Derrick DeWitt

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

that helps but im not really running out of steam in that department yet. im just trying to increase my ability to play games decently for now.

stedaley

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
the upgrade will improve performance but i doubt it will to the levels your expecting,

personally i would save the 140 and put it towards the total overhaul which is buying a new laptop, the new Haswell cpus have just come out which would be a much bigger jump,

however,

if your comfortable doing the swapover and confident in making sure that your handy work is good then go for it, it will let you laptop live a much better life for the next year or so, but it will only be a short term soluition :)

hope this helps!!

Derrick DeWitt

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

Thank you for the wise words. I know its only gonna be short term but it'll kep me goin for a bit. then, once i buy a New rig come dec/january i can use this one as a maxed out backup.

stedaley

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013

sounds like a plan!! i love my rig atm and it will keep me going for a long time yet,

remember to choose a Best Solution, really helps on this website :)