Question Upgrading my RAM to 64GB ?

My PC is always maxing out my 32GB ram so I'm planning to add another 32GB but the problem is I can't find RAM which has the same model as my current RAM. https://www.gskill.com/product/165/167/1536718734/F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX. Can I just add this model instead https://www.gskill.com/product/165/184/1536110922/F4-3200C16D-32GVK? They have the same speed, latency and voltage.
Don't add, change to full 64GB set. That is specially important when using all 4 slots as that puts more load on memory controller and may become unstable at higher speeds.Best results with 2x32GB.

Christophe516

Commendable
May 2, 2022

js2

Jul 16, 2024
What are you doing that is maxing out 32Gb? Maybe better getting a faster SSD instead or optimise the system.

Had a client way back who was running so much background crap, he was only really using half his system. He did not need to upgrade anything.

As for RAM upgrades. Best going for the same but bigger or/and faster than adding more of the same.

Reactions: CountMike

Christophe516

Commendable
May 2, 2022
What are you doing that is maxing out 32Gb? Maybe better getting a faster SSD instead or optimise the system.

Had a client way back who was running so much background crap, he was only really using half his system. He did not need to upgrade anything.

As for RAM upgrades. Best going for the same but bigger or/and faster than adding more of the same.
Heavens, no. I am not maxing out 32GB RAM, that is what I upgrading to. I am maxing out 8GB RAM that came with the PC. My father bought me 32GB, because I told him I didn't want 16GB, and that 64GB would be useless. Since I could not get a better video card that would make use of that much RAM. Also, The limitations of the motherboard. I even sent him the link, to this thread. So he would have an idea what to buy.

Since I could not get a better video card that would make use of that much RAM.
You may be misunderstanding what ram impact there is on a GPU. i.e practically nothing. However, it certainly can influence the CPU and how many pre-rendered frames it can send to the GPU, which in turn may or may not increase FPS.

As others have suggested, the OP needs to get a 2 x 32gb kit. If they simply add further ram, even if same model, and make, there is a good chance they will not work. Populating 4 slots instead of two, puts a higher load on the SOC and memory controller. This means, not only may they not work together, it's very likely they will be at reduced speeds, because 4 slots are occupied.

USAFRet

Titan
Heavens, no. I am not maxing out 32GB RAM, that is what I upgrading to. I am maxing out 8GB RAM that came with the PC. My father bought me 32GB, because I told him I didn't want 16GB, and that 64GB would be useless. Since I could not get a better video card that would make use of that much RAM. Also, The limitations of the motherboard. I even sent him the link, to this thread. So he would have an idea what to buy.
Please don't introduce your system issues into the OP's system issues.
If desired, start your own thread.

And as mentioned above, system RAM has little to do with whatever the GPU is doing.