[SOLVED] Upgrading my system, could use some advice.

stix45

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
In nearly two weeks, I'm going to be upgrading my computer. The only issue I've been having though is, I'm not 100% computer savvy, and could use some advice and help on seeing if the components I'm upgrading are compatible and solid for one another.

That being said, here is my current build;

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS
GPU: AORUS RX 580 8 GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 3000MHz (2x8GB)
PSU: Corsair RM850x
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case: I can't find the name of the case, but here is a link to how it looks; https://www.amazon.ca/Cyberpowerpc-GUA2800w-Quad-core-Processor-Included/dp/B0115FXJ6U

The components I'm aiming to buy so far from just browsing:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-Plus
GPU: RTX 2070 or 5700 XT
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X or a Ryzen 5 5600X (If in stock)
Case: Phantec P400A or Lian Li Lancool 2
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

My goal have a rig capable of gaming on about high/ultra settings on 1080p 144hz and my budget right now is about $1200. I'm also aware that it may be better to wait due to stock shortages, However I really want to upgrade my computer right now in order to prepare for buying new parts in the future.

But any advice on what else or what i should be upgrading?

Solution
Only thing I would change in the system is the video card, the CPU will have no issues playing any game. Maybe the larger SSD as well if you need the extra space to install programs on.
In nearly two weeks, I'm going to be upgrading my computer. The only issue I've been having though is, I'm not 100% computer savvy, and could use some advice and help on seeing if the components I'm upgrading are compatible and solid for one another.

That being said, here is my current build;

Motherboard: MSI X370 SLI PLUS
GPU: AORUS RX 580 8 GB
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 3000MHz (2x8GB)
PSU: Corsair RM850x
HDD: Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Case: I can't find the name of the case, but here is a link to how it looks; https://www.amazon.ca/Cyberpowerpc-GUA2800w-Quad-core-Processor-Included/dp/B0115FXJ6U

The components I'm aiming to buy so far from just browsing:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-Plus
GPU: RTX 2070 or 5700 XT
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X or a Ryzen 5 5600X (If in stock)
Case: Phantec P400A or Lian Li Lancool 2
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB

My goal have a rig capable of gaming on about high/ultra settings on 1080p 144hz and my budget right now is about $1200. I'm also aware that it may be better to wait due to stock shortages, However I really want to upgrade my computer right now in order to prepare for buying new parts in the future.

But any advice on what else or what i should be upgrading?
What kind of games are you planning to play??? If your goal is league of legends, overwatch cs go and other similar esports games then I'll say you could go with ryzen 5 5600X but if you are planning to play AAA games ill go with 3700x it'll be slower but you'll get much more smoother experience I've noticed much better frame times with cpu with high core count thus smoother games but if you wanna play upcoming AAA for next 3 years 5900X is not overkill.
Edit: 5900x if you are multitasking and have more than single monitor or streaming 5800x would also be good but the price of 5800x and honestly 5000 series is not great

Last edited:

stix45

Honorable
Aug 9, 2016
What kind of games are you planning to play??? If your goal is league of legends, overwatch cs go and other similar esports games then I'll say you could go with ryzen 5 5600X but if you are planning to play AAA games ill go with 3700x it'll be slower but you'll get much more smoother experience I've noticed much better frame times with cpu with high core count thus smoother games but if you wanna play upcoming AAA for next 3 years 5900X is not overkill.
Edit: 5900x if you are multitasking and have more than single monitor or streaming 5800x would also be good but the price of 5800x and honestly 5000 series is not great

I'm aiming to prepare for Cyberpunk 2077 and play triple A titles like GTA 5 and Call of Duty,
Only thing I would change in the system is the video card, the CPU will have no issues playing any game. Maybe the larger SSD as well if you need the extra space to install programs on.

What video card would you recommend? I would also want to try and buy one of the new 3000 or RX 6800 cards, but I'm not sure if the current prices and stock will change with them this year.

I'm aiming to prepare for Cyberpunk 2077 and play triple A titles like GTA 5 and Call of Duty,

What video card would you recommend? I would also want to try and buy one of the new 3000 or RX 6800 cards, but I'm not sure if the current prices and stock will change with them this year.
Do you multitask while playing games??? Like having Chrome open in the background, twitch, streaming and or discord then a cpu with high core will definitely help thus i said 5900x. I'll recommend you to get RX6800XT with an X570 Mobo it'll give you some more features.