[SOLVED] Upgrading my system

Apr 2, 2020
Hi all , Im pretty new to PC but i have saved enough for some upgrades i have about 400 EURO to spend and all i use my PC for is to game and abit of websurfing Youtube etc. I have bought a 2TB hard drive already as im finding storage a problem. Thanks for any help in advance.
Intel Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 3GB GTX 1060
SKU: E55G
Processor: Intel i7 3770 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 RAM
Case: Element Diamond RGB
Hard Drive: 1000GB
Solid State: None
Graphics Card: 3GB GTX 1060

Solution
I don't know if these prices are accurate, or if it's just better to get stuff from the UK markets, but here goes:

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€99.94 @ Komplett)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB Challenger D OC Video Card (€365.97 @ Custompc)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€64.85 @ Komplett)
Total: €530.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-07 19:36 IST+0100

The 5600XT should be at least 75% faster than your GTX1060 3GB.

GTX1660 Super is about 20% slower than the 5600XT, but still somewhere around...
Apr 2, 2020
for any decent upgrade you will need to move up to a newer/better platform. this will entail getting a new series motherboard, which will need DDR4 memory and a new CPU.

post the rest of your current system specs:
motherboard, PSU, CPU cooler, case fans, etc
Thanks for the reply , my motherboard is veriton x4620g not too sure on my psu i will be unplugging and checking the pc tomorrow for it. I have 3 front fans and 1 back. CPU fan im fairly sure is stock one that comes with it.
Thanks for help in advance very new to PCs.

Ok, then it's safe to assume you'll need a new PSU. A new GPU would be a good upgrade. 8GB of RAM is a bit lacking, but buying DDR3 RAM in this decade is a dead-end purchase. At least you can get it cheap from e-waste recycling centers.

An SSD would also be a good addition that could also be reused when the CPU+mobo+RAM eventually get replaced.

What country are you shopping in?

Apr 2, 2020
Ok, then it's safe to assume you'll need a new PSU. A new GPU would be a good upgrade. 8GB of RAM is a bit lacking, but buying DDR3 RAM in this decade is a dead-end purchase. At least you can get it cheap from e-waste recycling centers.

An SSD would also be a good addition that could also be reused when the CPU+mobo+RAM eventually get replaced.

What country are you shopping in?
Thanks for your reply , im from ireland so ill probably shop in ireland or Uk. What upgrades would you recommend (as in specific parts) with a budget of roughly 400( 400 is rough budget i would spend more if necessary). Thanks again for your help.

I don't know if these prices are accurate, or if it's just better to get stuff from the UK markets, but here goes:

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€99.94 @ Komplett)
Video Card: ASRock Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB Challenger D OC Video Card (€365.97 @ Custompc)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€64.85 @ Komplett)
Total: €530.76
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-07 19:36 IST+0100

The 5600XT should be at least 75% faster than your GTX1060 3GB.

GTX1660 Super is about 20% slower than the 5600XT, but still somewhere around 40-50% faster than your GTX1060 3GB.

PCPartPicker Part List (United Kingdom)

Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£66.78 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£253.42 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£55.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £375.67
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-07 19:46 BST+0100

Last edited:
Solution
Apr 2, 2020
Hi thanks for your detailed response.
I was just wondering also what would your upgrades be for ram proceser and motherboard also just so i will know in the future what to get.

Thanks again for your help i have tried a good number of weeks to find help like this.
Much appreciated

Apr 2, 2020
Figure another 400 euro or so.
Hi again , i have done some more research along with your advice and have made a rough plan.

I think i might upgrade my motherboard to a motherboard that will take ddr4 memory as im fairly sure my current one wont take ddr4 and get 16gb of ddr4 memory. Also then take your advice get the new graphics card new PSU and the ssd. What would be your initial taughts on this.Thanks again

I think i might upgrade my motherboard to a motherboard that will take ddr4 memory as im fairly sure my current one wont take ddr4 and get 16gb of ddr4 memory. Also then take your advice get the new graphics card new PSU and the ssd. What would be your initial taughts on this.

for any decent upgrade you will need to move up to a newer/better platform. this will entail getting a new series motherboard, which will need DDR4 memory and a new CPU.
the Power Supply is one of the most important factors of any system. considering that you still haven't posted what you currently have; i will just assume that it is a cheap OEM model that should not be trusted to power any decent system for long.
this would be my first upgrade.
for some good reliable models that are recommended read the top stickied threads here:

and for the easiest upgrade that should have a noticeable effect, i would get a new high speed drive;
either a nice SSD or, if available with your current board, a nice NVMe m.2 drive(check your motherboard specifications for available m.2 slot).

Last edited: