[SOLVED] Upgrading old hardware: CPU, or GPU?

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,
I currently have an i5-3570K running with a EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, and am looking to upgrade my CPU to either a i7 3770K, or upgrade my GPU to a EVGA GTX 980 Ti.
Which upgrade gets me the most bang for my buck? I game at 2K on some blockbusters like Battlefield 1, Star Wars Battlefront, Tomb Raider, etc.

Solution
Ah. I'm more used to the newer cards. But if that is the case, then I would say in that case, get the 980ti. However, I would still look toward saving towards a newer cpu/ram/motherboard. Games I think are starting to finally take advantage of more cores/hyper threading.

I suppose you could get the 980ti, then sell your 970, then use the proceeds to get the i7 you looked at. That should be enough to tide you over a year or 2 and give you time to save up for a full upgrade later, but still max out your budget today.
Bad thing is 980ti is only what 4gb? I think bf1 for example is more cpu heavy. Don't know about battlefront or tr, but assuming battlefront probably is since I think they used the same ppl as bf1.

A 980ti is only about as good I think as a gtx 1060 6gb. You are talking old hardware. I think if you aren't moving to a new board/cpu/ram for a while, go with the i7. Newer GPUs are still being released, so maybe get the i7 and save up and see if a GPU come out you want. If nothing else, you could also get something like a an RX 570 or RX 580.

I don't know though that either a 970 or 980 is going to do great at 1440p. So I hesitate to say either one. Probably the lowest you should look at for 1440p is a gtx 1070 or Vega 56.

What kind of budget do you have?

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I don't think that a 980ti is as good as a 1060; It's significantly better, according to PassMark. In fact a 1060 doesn't rank much higher than my current 970. The heart of my question is whether or not a hyper-threaded CPU will make a noticeable difference in game performance, or if more VRAM and faster I/O in a GPU will make the most difference. A 980ti comes with 6gb of VRAM.

Ah. I'm more used to the newer cards. But if that is the case, then I would say in that case, get the 980ti. However, I would still look toward saving towards a newer cpu/ram/motherboard. Games I think are starting to finally take advantage of more cores/hyper threading.

I suppose you could get the 980ti, then sell your 970, then use the proceeds to get the i7 you looked at. That should be enough to tide you over a year or 2 and give you time to save up for a full upgrade later, but still max out your budget today.

Solution