Build Advice Upgrading PC - $1400 budget - 1080p 144hz gaming

Mar 27, 2019
Hello all,
I've been wanting to upgrade my PC for some time now and it's finally possible to do so.
I am having a hard time choosing which CPU to purchase and have stated the different ideas I came up with under Parts to Upgrade.
Your advice is much appreciated!

Approximate Purchase Date: In about 2-3 weeks

Budget Range: $1400 after tax (I will be buying parts from local MicroCenter therefore, ignore the shipping costs.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Priority - Gaming/Basic word processing school work.

Are you buying a monitor: No, I already have two 1080p 144hz monitors.

Parts to Upgrade: I definitely plan on getting an RTX 2080.
In terms of CPU, I was thinking about going one of three routes.
1.) Get an 8700k and stick with it for the next 3+ years
2.) Get a 2700x and stick with it for the next 3+ years
3.) Get a 2600x and upgrade to a 3700x once it releases.

I am aware that I will need new mobo and ram

I currently have a EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ Gold 750W from my current setup which I plan to continue using.
I will also keep my current storage and CPU Cooler

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: https://www.microcenter.com/ - I will be picking up the parts locally.

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p 144hz

Additional Comments: I will be re-using the same case (Phanteks Enthoo Pro), same PSU which is listed above.
My current build is:
MSI Z97s Krait SLI Edition
EVGA 980 ti SC+ ACX 2.0+
Cryorig H7 air cooler
EVGA 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ Gold 750W

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Tax Return Season! All jokes aside, I recently got two 144hz 1080p monitors and my current specs cannot push 100+ FPS at max settings in most games. Also, I plan on donating my CPU, Mobo, and RAM to my nephew as he has always wanted a gaming PC, but due to financial issues, he could not afford one.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019
get 16gb of ddr4 ram, can be almost any company as long as its compatibile with mobo you will be buying
for gaming 8700k is a beast. I have older gen of 6core/12threads OC to 4ghz and there is no problems, if you want to OC you could get something less and just OC it.
imho I would stick to 980ti (and ingame disable AA, verticalsync, postprocessing, drop shadows to medium all else max) and get next gpu after new consols release but thats just me
if you like blur stick to 144hz else recommend switching to 120hz 'losing' that ~20hz but giving yourself less blur on the screen making everything more sharp ingame
check blurbusters.com for more info

Reactions: zzpabzz
Mar 27, 2019
get 16gb of ddr4 ram, can be almost any company as long as its compatibile with mobo you will be buying
for gaming 8700k is a beast. I have older gen of 6core/12threads OC to 4ghz and there is no problems, if you want to OC you could get something less and just OC it.
imho I would stick to 980ti (and ingame disable AA, verticalsync, postprocessing, drop shadows to medium all else max) and get next gpu after new consols release but thats just me
if you like blur stick to 144hz else recommend switching to 120hz 'losing' that ~20hz but giving yourself less blur on the screen making everything more sharp ingame
check blurbusters.com for more info

Surprisingly, my local MicroCenter still has plenty of 8700k’s in stock. I’ll definitely consider it.

Mar 27, 2019
I personally just purchased the 1800x, but besides gaming, do you really need all the cores and threads when it comes to the 2700x ?

The 1800x was also on sale for $250 CDN which was a steal IMO.

Mar 27, 2019
I personally just purchased the 1800x, but besides gaming, do you really need all the cores and threads when it comes to the 2700x ?

The 1800x was also on sale for $250 CDN which was a steal IMO.
Not really, but at MicroCenter I can get a 2700x for $269.99 and if I do a Mobo + CPU bundle, they drop another $30. That sounds like a really good deal to me.

Prices at MicroCenter (If I get a compatible motherboard, I get another $30 off):
8700k - $359.99
2700x - $269.99
2600x - $169.99

I just don't want to have the need to upgrade for the next 3+ years unless I get the 2600x. In that case, I'd upgrade as soon as the Ryzen 3rd gen drop.

Last edited:
If you want more fun and gaming performance, get the 8700K match with a good motherboard like a Z390 Extreme 4 and overclock it! Intel has better gaming performance due to higher clocks and if you overclock the gap will be even higher.

The Ryzen it's a good future proof, with the 8 cores as the software and games evolve they will take advantage on the extra 2 cores, but it won't overclock much if at all as AMD boost max's out already the clocks possible.

Mar 27, 2019
If you want more fun and gaming performance, get the 8700K match with a good motherboard like a Z390 Extreme 4 and overclock it! Intel has better gaming performance due to higher clocks and if you overclock the gap will be even higher.

The Ryzen it's a good future proof, with the 8 cores as the software and games evolve they will take advantage on the extra 2 cores, but it won't overclock much if at all as AMD boost max's out already the clocks possible.
Would Ryzen be able to handle 100+ FPS in most games paired with a 2080?