[SOLVED] Upgrading PC with an SSD. Need help getting old Desktop

Jul 17, 2020
Recently, I bought a 250 GB SSD so I can have a faster Windows boot-up. I plan to have Windows and other apps (Discord, Chrome, etc) on the SSD. I installed Windows 10 on to the SSD and set it up as my priority boot in the BIOS.

When Windows boot-up, it was a fresh install. I had none of my shortcuts or my wallpaper present. I went to my BIOS again and boot by my HDD and everything was there. The question I have is how can I have the fast boot-up of the SSD while still having all of my files and such on my HDD?

I have 930 GB used on my HDD so I am unable to clone everything over to my SSD. My friend says I should move my games, programs, and videos over to my extra HDD. Then, once my old HDD is below 250 GB, clone it over to the SSD. I'm not entirely sure if that would work and I would greatly appreciate the help.

When I was on the fresh version of Windows, I found Steam on the HDD through the File Explorer. After opening Steam, I had to log in first. After that, I started Terraria. I was surprised to see that all of my worlds and characters were gone. I am just worried that I would lose my game clips and game data.

Solution
Your friend is mostly right.
To clone into a 250GB SSD, the actual consumed space needs to be below 200GB, not just below 250.

If you can get to that point, we can walk you through the process.
And you can't move "programs" to some other drive. Doesn't work like that.

USAFRet

Titan
Your friend is mostly right.
To clone into a 250GB SSD, the actual consumed space needs to be below 200GB, not just below 250.

If you can get to that point, we can walk you through the process.
And you can't move "programs" to some other drive. Doesn't work like that.

Solution