[SOLVED] Upgrading power supply, which one should i pick?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
My antec 550w psu is faulty or something, there are times that my pc just froze out of nowhere, after i switch back to my old psu everything works normal nothing happens but the thing is i cant use my old psu since it does not have the pin connectors for my old hd 7970.
Not only that but my old psu is some chinese cheap brand and im afraid it would take the whole system.
Im looking forward to buy another psu and i had come up with these 2 power supply
The FSP 550w HEXA : https://www.fsplifestyle.com/en/product/HEXA85plus550W.html
And the FSP 550w raidar : https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP161000093/
Both are refurbished used psu, both are the same price and have 3 month warranty.
Which one should i pick?

Solution
Is it because fsp is not reputable brand or its because its a used psu ?
im on a very low budget and buying a used psu would help me save some money
Not only that but buying a new 550w 80 plus would mean i had to spend double the money for the used one.
Not necessarily. FSP is a known PSU OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) which makes supplies for many companies that 'rebrand' them. They have PSUs in all PSU "tiers", good ones, mediocre ones and bad ones.

Same goes for all other PSU makers. It all depends on the specific model. They all make good models, meh models and garbage ones. Some make more good and meh, some make more meh and garbage. Some just make garbage.

Here, in this case, old PSUs that are refurbished (which...
Are these the same power supplies you asked about in your other thread yesterday?

Apr 8, 2022
refurbished... wouldnt recommend that at all who knows might end up causing more damage, if your low on budget then just wait it out and buy a new reputed one and 3 months is way to low what if something happens after the expiry cant even do anything about it.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
My antec 550w psu is faulty or something, there are times that my pc just froze out of nowhere, after i switch back to my old psu everything works normal nothing happens but the thing is i cant use my old psu since it does not have the pin connectors for my old hd 7970.
Not only that but my old psu is some chinese cheap brand and im afraid it would take the whole system.
Im looking forward to buy another psu and i had come up with these 2 power supply
The FSP 550w HEXA : https://www.fsplifestyle.com/en/product/HEXA85plus550W.html
And the FSP 550w raidar : https://www.fsplifestyle.com/PROP161000093/
Both are refurbished used psu, both are the same price and have 3 month warranty.
Which one should i pick?
If you can provide a few websites that you shop at, I’m sure someone can make better suggestions for a higher quality PSU.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Not only that but buying a new 550w 80 plus would mean i had to spend double the money for the used one.
I can’t speak for the brand, but both power supplies appear to be from 2014. As well, neither of them are gold certified. Aside from that, they are refurbished. You are welcome to buy what you want, but no one is going to recommend that you buy one of those PSUs.

old psu is some chinese cheap brand
It turns out the FSP power supplies you linked to are made in Taiwan (aka China).

both are the same price and have 3 month warranty
New power supplies come with a 5-10 year warranty, so that isn’t very reassuring.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Not necessarily. FSP is a known PSU OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) which makes supplies for many companies that 'rebrand' them. They have PSUs in all PSU "tiers", good ones, mediocre ones and bad ones.

Same goes for all other PSU makers. It all depends on the specific model. They all make good models, meh models and garbage ones. Some make more good and meh, some make more meh and garbage. Some just make garbage.

Here, in this case, old PSUs that are refurbished (which might entail some kind of repair) implies that they had problems, or might have even failed and were brought back to life, by replacing components etc.

I wouldn't get any PSU that was made almost a decade ago, wasn't a very good quality one when it was made and had to go under some repair or "refurbishment" to be sold again.

Also, I don't know the rest of your components, but I think for powering a Radeon 7970 you need a good quality 600W PSU. These are both 550W and weren't the best even in their prime.

Again, I wouldn't buy either of these and in fact any other old "refurbished" PSU for that matter.

Solution