Question upgrading ram 16gb to 32

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
hi

i have a team delta ddr 4 3600mhz dual channel 16gb ( 2x8). im thinking to upgrade to 32gb. my question is : do i have to change it completly to 16x2 or can i just buy another 2x8 exactly same ddr the one that im using? if it can be done, will it be affected to performance? please enlight me :)

thanks

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
hi

i have a team delta ddr 4 3600mhz dual channel 16gb ( 2x8). im thinking to upgrade to 32gb. my question is : do i have to change it completly to 16x2 or can i just buy another 2x8 exactly same ddr the one that im using? if it can be done, will it be affected to performance? please enlight me :)

thanks
The safest bet in to buy a 2X16gb set and sell your 2X8.

If you buy more of what you already have it might and might not work. Nobody can answer that.

Reactions: zoloft50mg
if it can be done, will it be affected to performance?

many times even the exact same make & model kits will not be entirely compatible even if they do "work" together.
you could see some decrease in performance due to slight differences in data processing or other inaccuracies.
or you could just find that the system won't even boot.

you could get lucky and find that they work but it's usually better to just get a dedicated package of 2x 16GB modules.

why do you feel that your current 16GB set is not enough?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
hi

thanks
The simplest way is to get 2x16GB. Another 2x8GB set is a gamble. Those new DIMMs have been matched by the manufacturer, but there is no way to predict how they will interact with your existing RAM. It might work at reduced clock (2133 or 2666 for example). You might have to manually mess with timings and voltage to get them to be stable. The only guaranteed way is to buy a matched set of 2x16GB. Any RAM addition, is your responsibility to get to work, no guarantee.

hi

thanks
It won't affect performance it just might not work properly. I've mixed kits bought at different times a few times and never had an issue, however all builds were Intel. It's a risk though, particularly so if your doing this with 3600Mhz DIMM's on Ryzen. It may work on 5000 if your lucky, but almost certainly not on the previous ones.

zoloft50mg

Prominent
Mar 31, 2022
The safest bet in to buy a 2X16gb set and sell your 2X8.

If you buy more of what you already have it might and might not work. Nobody can answer that.
ok, noted.

many times even the exact same make & model kits will not be entirely compatible even if they do "work" together.
you could see some decrease in performance due to slight differences in data processing or other inaccuracies.
or you could just find that they system won't even boot.

you could get lucky and find that they work but it's usually better to just get a dedicated package of 2x 16GB modules.

why do you feel that your current 16GB set is not enough?
lately im trying also streaming while gaming. i noticed that few times it said i low on memory. im thinking hard tough: should i upgrade the ram to 32 first or add one more 1tb ssd to my pc for more gaming installed

The simplest way is to get 2x16GB. Another 2x8GB set is a gamble. Those new DIMMs have been matched by the manufacturer, but there is no way to predict how they will interact with your existing RAM. It might work at reduced clock (2133 or 2666 for example). You might have to manually mess with timings and voltage to get them to be stable. The only guaranteed way is to buy a matched set of 2x16GB. Any RAM addition, is your responsibility to get to work, no guarantee.
ok m8, thanks

As long as your mobo has 4 RAM slots, you can add. Is this for the 5600X in your signature? May require a speed decrease to 3200MHz just to keep the IMC (on the CPU) happy.
yes, it as my signature.

It won't affect performance it just might not work properly. I've mixed kits bought at different times a few times and never had an issue, however all builds were Intel. It's a risk though, particularly so if your doing this with 3600Mhz DIMM's on Ryzen. It may work on 5000 if your lucky, but almost certainly not on the previous ones.
i think after read all of you guys advice. i better get new one with 32gb. the only sad thing is i have no idea where can i sell the 16gb :((

Not to pile on...
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, Particularly ryzen can be very sensitive to this.
Ryzen depends very much on fast ram for performance.

Since you will be buying a 2 x 16gb kit of ram with the same specs, why not try adding your old ram, one stick to each channel, and see how it does.
You may have to increase the default ram voltage a bit.
If it seems to work give it a solid test.
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

If no joy, I would keep the old ram as a spare or for a second build.
You can sell it on ebay, but it is probably not worth the hassle if you are not an ebay user.