Upgrading RAM 8GB -> 16 GB

nzae

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
Hi,

Today I have a question about ram and my motherboard, and if I would see noticeably different performance if I purchased and installed more RAM.

Currently my motherboard is the AsRock h97 pro 4, and I have 2x 4GB Ram installed.

My processor is also the Intel Core i5 4590, and have GTX 1080 graphics card (not sure if thats helpful to know).

If I purchased 2x additional 4GB ram, (or 2x 8GB ram if that is even possible for my motherboard) would I notice a difference in performance when playing games, running multiple programs at once, etc?

Currently, (after upgrading my cooling unit) my PC feels new again and is running quite fast. Before I bought the new heatsink it was running very slow at 85-90 C temps lol.

So I'm wondering how much purchasing new ram would really do for me, or if I maybe instead I should invest the money into something else like an SSD?

All opinions are welcome, and thank you!

If you arent sure you need more RAM you probably dont.
Having more RAM does not increase performance, you only see performance issues when you run out of RAM.

Go about your day, gaming, etc, while watching RAM usage, if it dosent max out then you dont need the RAM.

nzae

Reputable
Jun 8, 2014
I run a constant botting program throughout the day on my computer and my memory usage is at 70-75% ish percent. When I play a game while this botting program is running I assume I am near maxing my avail memory, but I guess I just don't notice because the performance in the game is usually smooth.

Something I do notice is that my "Disk" under control panel tends to spike frequently up to 90%-99%, and then obviously things run slow. Some sort of upgrade I could make to improve this?

Thanks guys