Question Upgrading RAM and Speed question

Ragahv

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Hello I have 2 GSKILL 8gb RAM modules which are DDR4 ram clocked at 2400MHz

I have bought 2 more DDR4 Corsair 8gb modules with speed of 2677MHz.

I have put them in my ASUS x99e motherboard and I want to make my new two ram sticks run at 2677 MHz and the other two at 2400MHz but the system runs the new ones at the same speed as the old ones.

The old ram is running at 2400 MHz and the new ram is also 2400MHz which I don’t like at all.

I have reset bios and reinstall windows os. However clearing cmos etc doesn’t help. Upon purchase from eBay au. They said that my new ram will run at 2400 MHz and not the new speed.

How to make two ram work at 2677MHz and the other at 2400MHz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
It doesn't work that way. One speed for all.
This is what happens when you mix ram with different speeds. By default, the faster ram clocks down to match the speed of the slower ram.
If you want all 4 sticks running at 2677, you will have to manually overclock the the slower ram. You could try XMP, but no guarantees that will work either.
If you want more ram, send the new kit back, and buy a proper kit of 4 sticks.

Ragahv

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for your reply Phaaze88, i want to overclock my GSKILL RAM which runs at 2400MHz to 2677MHz or 2600MHz. Since its a high quality stick, i may be succesfull with XMP and it does allow me to overclock to 2800MHz. However, if i overclock to 2800MHz, can i run the other stick to 2677MHz which is the new one or i must keep that at 2800MHz? Im pretty sure the gskill one can be overclocked but the new corsair one cant because it only $52.00 AUD and the GSKILL cost me $130.00 each stick for 8gb.

Also, the stick for gskill is better than corsair and higher quality in the market these days.

I really want to keep all my ram's same speed but hate the difference between 200-400MHz when one stick is not compatible with the other's speed and time or latency. Both ram's have error correction too.

I want to overclock gskill one to match the new corsair one to speed of 2677MHz. How to make that happen?

Please briefly instruct me on the forum or send link to you tube video on how to overclock ram using Xmp. Xmp is on my board but when i select the drop down list, there is no xmp or profile 1 option. Instead its only option is disabled. When i switch switch on the motherboard (asus x99e ) to the other side, xmp is enabled and the switch is on but when i press PC power the graphics not even the post or bios comes up. There is a display problem, so every time i do that there is a problem in the board and the configuration is stuffed so i have to reset the board.

Please in detail tell me step by step how to get the profile 1 up and how to get it running

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You're better off returning the new ram and buying a new 4 stick kit.
Ram is only guaranteed to work in the form sold. Mixing sticks is a gamble. Some people win, some don't.
XMP isn't guaranteed to work here, and it's not because of the different speeds.
In theory, different ram kits with the same speeds, timings, and voltages should work together, but may still fail - it just has the highest compatibility to work.

You haven't posted the exact models of the 2 kits, so I can only guess here, but the 2 kits likely have different timings, and maybe different operating voltages. That drops your odds of getting them to work together even further.
This is why I said to manually overclock the ram. XMP would work with the new kit, but the old one would probably disagree with it. You would need to manually configure timings that would work for both. It won't be worth the headache.

TL;DR: XMP likely won't work. The mistake was mixing ram with different specs(the lowest possible compatibility). Send the new kit back and get a proper 4 stick kit, or stick with the 2 you already had.

Reactions: DMAN999

Ragahv

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
This my ram: G.Skill Value 16GB (2*8) Quad Channel DDR4 - F4-2400C15Q-32GNT which is the first one I purchased and that’s the old ram

The new one is the Micron Texhnology
Part number is 8ATF1G64AZ-2G6E1

Serial number for new ram is 2166FACF

Ranks is single

Max bandwidth in cpu z is come up for new ram as ddr4 - 2666 (1333MHz)

It’s actually 2766 MHz

So how to manually config the sticks to run at 2766 MHz for new one and over click gskill one to same speed. I think the Galilee’s can do up to 2800mhz and new one can do 2800mhz too

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Now you lost me. Your first post doesn't match up with your most recent one at all.
1st post: 2x 8GB G.Skill 2400mhz ram + 2x 8GB Corsair 2666mhz ram
Latest post: [2x] 8GB G.Skill [Quad channel] ram(part # brings me to a Quad channel kit) + 2x(?) 8GB Micron 2666 ram(part number links me to a single stick)
^ WUT ^

What's going on here?