Question Upgrading RAM on Lenovo laptop problem

Dec 18, 2019
Hello everyone,
So my father has this old Lenovo G40-30 laptop that has only 2gb of RAM installed with it so I decided to buy 8gb stick to replace 2gb old one. Ive checked task manager -> performance -> memory and it said memory in use was DDR3 2gb with speed 1333Mhz. I went to the store and bought Kingston DDR3 1333MHz CL9 SODIMM 8gb, came home removed old stick and put in new stick. And now nothing is happening, the laptop just gives me black screen although indicator for power on is glowing white. I read somewhere that some Lenovo laptops need up to 5 minutes to boot when you put now hardware in so I waited but 20 minutes passed and still black screen. I tried putting back old ram stick and laptop still runs "fine" with it same as before, but when I put in new stick it just doesent work. I guess I must have bought uncompatible RAM stick but Im not really sure why it is uncompatible with this laptop cause from specs my guess is it shoudlve worked fine. Can someone smarter or at least mnore educated enlighten me with this please? Thanks in advance :)

Dec 18, 2019
Btw Crucial software suggests 1600Mhz RAM can I run both 1333MHz and 1600MHz or is 1600MHz a must? When I checked task manager for old memory it says it was 1333MHz.

PaulosK

Reputable
May 25, 2019
Hello everyone,
So my father has this old Lenovo G40-30 laptop that has only 2gb of RAM installed with it so I decided to buy 8gb stick to replace 2gb old one. Ive checked task manager -> performance -> memory and it said memory in use was DDR3 2gb with speed 1333Mhz. I went to the store and bought Kingston DDR3 1333MHz CL9 SODIMM 8gb, came home removed old stick and put in new stick. And now nothing is happening, the laptop just gives me black screen although indicator for power on is glowing white. I read somewhere that some Lenovo laptops need up to 5 minutes to boot when you put now hardware in so I waited but 20 minutes passed and still black screen. I tried putting back old ram stick and laptop still runs "fine" with it same as before, but when I put in new stick it just doesent work. I guess I must have bought uncompatible RAM stick but Im not really sure why it is uncompatible with this laptop cause from specs my guess is it shoudlve worked fine. Can someone smarter or at least mnore educated enlighten me with this please? Thanks in advance :)
Are you sure the laptop supports up to 8gb of ram?