Question Upgrading router, need suggestions

Aug 16, 2020
I admit that I'm out of the loop on newer options for new routers. Last time I looked the only real options were Linksys WRT54 or some Cisco SRPs (expensive for the time!). Yeah, so it's been a while.

My current router is a Cisco SRP 541W (802.11b/g/n), and it has features I like, such as multiple independent WiFi networks, assignable ports to VLANs (including WiFi), VPN-in, etc. The problem is that it's old and my newer hardware has trouble connecting to it.

I want something that can broadcast 2200 sqft through plaster walls and ceilings, and old wooden floors. I guess I need mesh, but I have no preference.

I really want to have control over the device. Cloud-connected or mobile app installation/configuration are an absolute non-starter. I don't want any of that. My Internet speed is 1.2gb, and I use a Motorola MB8600.

What would you recommend?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I admit that I'm out of the loop on newer options for new routers. Last time I looked the only real options were Linksys WRT54 or some Cisco SRPs (expensive for the time!). Yeah, so it's been a while.

My current router is a Cisco SRP 541W (802.11b/g/n), and it has features I like, such as multiple independent WiFi networks, assignable ports to VLANs (including WiFi), VPN-in, etc. The problem is that it's old and my newer hardware has trouble connecting to it.

I want something that can broadcast 2200 sqft through plaster walls and ceilings, and old wooden floors. I guess I need mesh, but I have no preference.

I really want to have control over the device. Cloud-connected of mobile app installation/configuration are an absolute non-starter. I don't want any of that. My Internet speed is 1.2gb, and I use a Motorola MB8600.

What would you recommend?
You used the word "mesh". Do you mean you you have no ethernet wiring in the building and must use wireless backhaul between WIFI sources?

Aug 16, 2020
You used the word "mesh". Do you mean you you have no ethernet wiring in the building and must use wireless backhaul between WIFI sources?

Correct, I don't have any wiring, but I do have a couple computers next to the router/modem that will be wired, and I plan to install wiring in my house next year. So, I need/want both connection types. My laptops and phones are wireless, of course.

Since you have pretty much extremely old stuff now and you plan to make another upgrade with the wiring soon I would see if you can live with a cheap upgrade you plan to throw away. For a mesh system to even have a chance at providing averge performance it need extra backhaul radio chips in it. This makes these units rather expensive. Likely $300-$400 for some of the systems.

Maybe just buy a $50 router that supports 802.11ac. Something with a number around 1750 is a kinda average box. I would avoid wifi6 it doesn't really buy you much. Wifi6e is still a bit too expensive when you don't really know what you want.

The coverage will still be about the same no matter what kind of wifi you use. The distance the signal goes is a function of radio transmit power and almost all routers transmit at the legal maximum. The power allowed is the same as it has been since the beginning of wifi they just attempt to pack more data into the same signal.

This should give you a idea if your current router is just defective or if there is some issue with the signals.

When you get the cabling done you can use this cheap router you buy as AP in the remote room so you might just have to buy a new main router. You do not need any silly mesh systems to accomplish this it is always 1 network. The mesh systems are mostly used when you do not have wires running to the remote rooms.

Note if you have coax cables in the remote rooms you can use MoCA if you want.

asus68u has been a very well liked router. Other than it being a bit on the expensive side because it has asus on the box it is a good router. I am pretty sure it also support the merlin firmware if you want fancy stuff like vpn and vlans. It is getting a bit old so they may not support the newest features anymore. I have not checked the merlin site for a number of months.

kanewolf

Titan
@bill001g So, something like Asus RT-AC68U or RT-AC67P? What would you recommend in that space that comes close to what I'm looking for?
The AC68U is a great router. I have one as my backup. Merlin firmware is still available -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ and highly recommended.

You said you didn't have ethernet cabling, do you have coax cabling? If you you could use MoCA as transport to allow you to have a wired second WIFI source.
Yes, you could use two AC68U. One as a router and one as an access point. Works great.

Aug 16, 2020
The AC68U is a great router. I have one as my backup. Merlin firmware is still available -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ and highly recommended.

You said you didn't have ethernet cabling, do you have coax cabling? If you you could use MoCA as transport to allow you to have a wired second WIFI source.
Yes, you could use two AC68U. One as a router and one as an access point. Works great.

I decided to bite the bullet and spend a little extra on a mid-tier WiFi 6 router. About $200. More than I wanted, but at least it's not $350+.

Aug 16, 2020
I just set up my new router, using default setting except enabling link aggregation. Here are the numbers:

Download: 1428.02Mbps
Upload: 41.44Mbps
Ping: 64.68ms
Jitter: 10.52ms

And all newer devices can connect without issue.