Upgrading setup with 1440p monitors

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I bought a GTX 1080 a while back and been gaming on my legacy 1080p screens from my 760 times. So now that I have a new GPU all that horsepower is lost since pushing 1080p is child's play for the 1080. I'm looking for a solid 1440p monitor and I have some ideas already, but wanted some more options if you people can provide.

1. What Is Your Country Of Origin?
Finland, anything bought from EU is fine.

2. What do you plan to do with this monitor? (ex. Games, Movie Watching, Photo Editing, etc.)
Games, movies, light photo editing (nothing serious, but good and sharp colors are a big plus) general productivity.

3. What resolution and screen size do you want?
1440p

4. What refresh rate do you want? (ex. 60 hz , 70 hz.)
I'm fine with 60Hz, I don't play MP games seriously to justify a 60Hz+ monitor.

5. How much are you looking to spend?
1000€, can push it up to 1500€, above that and the monitor better make me food, tuck me to bed, drive, etc. (please note that that's the two monitors together so a single monitors' max price would be 750€, lower preffered)

6. Brands Preferred (ex. Samsung, Acer, Asus, AOC, HP, Viewsonic, etc. )
No preference, just quality.

7. Brands Not Preferred (state reason why)
-
8. Are You Buying More Than One Monitor?
Two monitors.

9. How Many Displays Can Your GPU Support Maximum? And what GPU and driver version are you using if applicable?
It's a Gigabyte GTX 1080. It has 5 outputs, 3 DP, 1 HDMI and 1 DVI-I Dual link(?)

10. What Port Do You Want To Connect To (ex. DVI-D, HDMI, etc).
Doesn't matter as long as it can push the resolution and the refresh rate.

11. Is This Monitor A Primary Display Or A Secondary Display?
Two monitors, one is primary and one is secondary.

Also one last thing is that the maximum size for the monitors would be around 70cm which is about 27'' above that and my table gets too small.

Solution
Sounds like a plan.
Adobe SRGB coverage doesn't necessarily mean they have a similar color, as they both come with different out of the box settings and contrast ratios, but they are both good quality IPS panels with great colors, so you shouldn't notice the difference after a bit of calibration.
It may cause eye strain if you are going from monitor to monitor in general use at different refresh rates, but you can always make a 60Hz preset profile on the 144hz monitor to change it when you're doing cross-monitor work.
I use an XB271HU and a 4k monitor sometimes in conjunction, and after about 4 hours of looking between the two while playing TW3 and browsing reddit, I start to experience a little eye strain.
However that's probably an...
I suggest getting a primary 144hz 1440p monitor for primary use, even if you're not serious into gaming, it feels much smoother and provides a much more pleasant desktop experience.
I suggest buying from Norway, it is close and relatively cheap.
Get this: https://www.komplett.no/product/842553/gaming/skjerm-tilbehoer/skjermer/asus-27-led-freesync-mg279q
IPS, 27", 144hz, 1440p.
Its a fantastic monitor.
You can also either get two of these, or one of each: https://www.komplett.no/product/915120/datautstyr/periferiutstyr/skjermer/skjermer/acer-27-4k-led-h277hk#
I recommend the latter, you can use one as a primary multiplayer gaming monitor, and the other for casual single player gaming and watching movies etc.
if you want.

late_

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
Interesting choices, thanks a lot. Gaming on 4K isn't very feasible (even with a 1080) so I might just go with the latter option you suggested.

Edit: Having two monitors at different refresh rates isn't technically a problem, but I'm wondering will it start causing eye strain or something since the other monitor is faster than the other?
Also one thing that is slightly bothering me at the moment is the fact that my monitors are from different manufacturers so the colors aren't exactly the same. I don't game on both monitors at the same time so having two different looking pictures isn't a problem. Since I'm a complete noob, does the fact that they both support sRGB at 100% help with it (having similar looking colors and such)? Or am I talking about color 'temperature'?

Sounds like a plan.
Adobe SRGB coverage doesn't necessarily mean they have a similar color, as they both come with different out of the box settings and contrast ratios, but they are both good quality IPS panels with great colors, so you shouldn't notice the difference after a bit of calibration.
It may cause eye strain if you are going from monitor to monitor in general use at different refresh rates, but you can always make a 60Hz preset profile on the 144hz monitor to change it when you're doing cross-monitor work.
I use an XB271HU and a 4k monitor sometimes in conjunction, and after about 4 hours of looking between the two while playing TW3 and browsing reddit, I start to experience a little eye strain.
However that's probably an extreme case scenario, because that's sort of once every 10 seconds or so with high contrasting colors (white webpage, dark game) over a 240 minute period rather than normal use.

Solution