Question Upgrading Storage and RAM for Lenovo Thinkpad X230

Apr 2, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have an old device - a Lenovo Thinkpad X230 laptop which I've been using as a secondary device for casual browsing. It works really well for browsing and a little front-end coding, considering it has just 4 GB of RAM and 180 GB of SSD. Out of 180GB, I can only see and access around 90 GB of memory in the C drive, making it pretty useless to do anything else.

I don't have much experience upgrading with computer hardware, but I am trying to do lil DIY and upgrade the storage and ram. So the addition of 4 GB of RAM and upgrading to 1 TB of SSD. I am thinking about using it as a backup device for my photos/videos as well as casual browsing.

The current specs:
  • Processor - Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60 GHz
  • 180 GB SSD (model: SSDSC2BW180A3L)
  • 4 GB RAM (Model: SK Hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-12-F3)

The planned upgrades.
  • Additional 4 GB ram (making it 8GB in total). ( $14 AUD ) Product image.
  • Samsung 870 QVO SATA III 2.5 inch SSD 1TB - L x W x H (10 x 7 x 0.7 cms). ( $90 AUD)
I am aware that compatibility requirements for products, such as the motherboard, may affect my choices, so I want to make sure I am on the right track and choosing the compatible product for my machine.

Few questions:
  • Can this old machine handle 1 TB of Storage?
  • I might be open to a 2 x 8GB ram config if it is going to add any significant improvements over 2 x 4 GB ram. Not sure if it is supported?
  • My laptop needs a thin-line SSD. Some website show Samsung SSD's dimension as follows - 100 X 69.85 X 6.8 (mm). Not sure it is the same as the 7mm model.

Cheers!

Hello everyone,

I have an old device - a Lenovo Thinkpad X230 laptop which I've been using as a secondary device for casual browsing. It works really well for browsing and a little front-end coding, considering it has just 4 GB of RAM and 180 GB of SSD. Out of 180GB, I can only see and access around 90 GB of memory in the C drive, making it pretty useless to do anything else.

I don't have much experience upgrading with computer hardware, but I am trying to do lil DIY and upgrade the storage and ram. So the addition of 4 GB of RAM and upgrading to 1 TB of SSD. I am thinking about using it as a backup device for my photos/videos as well as casual browsing.

The current specs:
  • Processor - Intel(R) Core (TM) i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60 GHz
  • 180 GB SSD (model: SSDSC2BW180A3L)
  • 4 GB RAM (Model: SK Hynix 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-12-F3)
The planned upgrades.
  • Additional 4 GB ram (making it 8GB in total). ( $14 AUD ) Product image.
  • Samsung 870 QVO SATA III 2.5 inch SSD 1TB - L x W x H (10 x 7 x 0.7 cms). ( $90 AUD)
I am aware that compatibility requirements for products, such as the motherboard, may affect my choices, so I want to make sure I am on the right track and choosing the compatible product for my machine.

Few questions:
  • Can this old machine handle 1 TB of Storage?
  • I might be open to a 2 x 8GB ram config if it is going to add any significant improvements over 2 x 4 GB ram. Not sure if it is supported?
  • My laptop needs a thin-line SSD. Some website show Samsung SSD's dimension as follows - 100 X 69.85 X 6.8 (mm). Not sure it is the same as the 7mm model.

Cheers!
Go here and run the scanner see what it shows.

Crucial

Mar 31, 2023
X230 user here.
You can easily upgrade it to 2x8 GB DDR3 RAM. I use Samsung PC3L 1600 MHz modules.
I don't know the answer if a 1TB drive is supported but can assure you a 7 mm one will fit. The 9 mm disk is barely too large.
Also, remember that you can add a second disk using an M-Sata port (at least if you don't need an internal cellular modem).

Reactions: TheWhizz
Apr 2, 2023
X230 user here.
You can easily upgrade it to 2x8 GB DDR3 RAM. I use Samsung PC3L 1600 MHz modules.
I don't know the answer if a 1TB drive is supported but can assure you a 7 mm one will fit. The 9 mm disk is barely too large.
Also, remember that you can add a second disk using an M-Sata port (at least if you don't need an internal cellular modem).
Thanks for confirming.

I wasn't aware that adding a second disk was a possibility using an M-SATA port. It is not as easy as swapping the SSD but certainly worth trying.

Adding 4gb or 8gb ram is likely to work.
But ram should be matched for proper operation.
I would consider a 2 x 4gb or a 2 x 8gb replacement.
Use the crucial specs of DDR3L 1600 SODIMM.
Intel is very tolerant of ram .

On the ssd, your upgrade is very easy using the Samsung SSD migration aid.
Instructions and app here:
To do the copy, buy a simple USB to sata adapter cable like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Exte...cphy=9011570&hvtargid=pla-1731411945996&psc=1
You use the app to copy your C drive to the new ssd.
When done, just replace the original ssd with the new one.
Depending on how much needs to be copied, it will take a ling time.
Perhaps 3 hours or more.
The process does not change the source drive.
I see no problem if the ssd is 1tb 2tb or even more.
The drive is a 7mm version

Reactions: TheWhizz