[SOLVED] upgrading system, what to do

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
CPU+CPU Cooler: Intel Core i7 2600 - 3.40GHz Quad Core, stock cooler.
Motherboard: Intel BearUp Lake Motherboard. not sure how i can find the exact model?
Ram: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM. + added Corsair 8GB DDR3- 1600Mhz - Vengeance Por - Dual
SSD/HDD: OCZ Vortex 128 gig, Seagate 1TB 3.5" HDD 7200RPM SATA3 6GB
GPU: Geforce GTX 970 MSI Gaming 4GB
PSU:Gigabyte SUPERB 620W Power Supply
Chassis:Midi Tower Case, don't know much else about it.
screen: dual, main is dell 2417dg 144 hz g sync

Unigine Valley Benchmark 1.0
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:
System
Platform:
Windows 8 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz (3392MHz) x4
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 25.21.14.1771 (4095MB) x1
Settings
Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
2560x1440 8xAA fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
UltraI

'm having issues with my pc running smoothy lately that I might or might not be able to resolve
(see http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3874907/fps-dropping-lag-spikes.html)

This made me think of getting some upgrades.
I think my motherboard is getting old as well as my CPU, is this where i should look for improvements or are there other things standing out? Perhaps the HD as well?

If so; what can you recommend (i have enough budget) and would i need to change anything else then as well?

alternatively, i am considering just getting a new high end system. would i be able to take my GPU with then or is this also too low for 1440p 144hz gaming

Solution
its possible that a fresh OS install would smooth things up, 8 years of junk files and programs running in the background can surely slow your system down. In addition to that I would run a health scan on your HDD, a dying HDD can cause some weird system slow downs and glitches.

as previous people have mentioned your PC is still pretty strong by todays standards, I would make sure all your drivers are up to date, and try removing any software running in the background that you no longer use and see if that smooths anything up. If that doesnt fix it, I would go with a fresh install of windows then decide if youre still in new of a new PC.

In regard to your GTX 970, its still pretty strong, although you probably wont be maxing out...
Here's the deal, you have a great pc and you're running sandy bridge which is still a viable system by today's standards, however this system is pushing 7 years old. There for if budget/funds permit my suggestion is to not dump any more money into that system, but to go with a new build.
How is the ceiling of your budget?
What country are you from?
Do you like RGB?
Do you want a small, medium or large build?

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017

well this lag / mini freezes that i suddenly have are terrible, they even happen in hearthstone for crying out loud so i need to do something.

I currently live in South Africa (from NL).

I don't mind spending (a lot) of money if its needed but do like bang for buck of course.
don't care for RGB but don't mind it either.
large build i guess.
EUR 1500? depends on what is needed to get going on 1440p properly if i go the new build way.

still looking to fix this pc's issue regardless

its possible that a fresh OS install would smooth things up, 8 years of junk files and programs running in the background can surely slow your system down. In addition to that I would run a health scan on your HDD, a dying HDD can cause some weird system slow downs and glitches.

as previous people have mentioned your PC is still pretty strong by todays standards, I would make sure all your drivers are up to date, and try removing any software running in the background that you no longer use and see if that smooths anything up. If that doesnt fix it, I would go with a fresh install of windows then decide if youre still in new of a new PC.

In regard to your GTX 970, its still pretty strong, although you probably wont be maxing out settings at 1440p.

Solution

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
I think i may have found the culprit :(. according to speedfan, my cpu is running on 96 degrees while im basically idling in windows.

i replaced the thermal paste less than a year ago. If i want to get a new cpu, i need a new motherboad too though don't it? And will my ram then still work on it or also not?

yeah those temps would definitely cause some issues, i would think there is something wrong with your cooler, maybe it has become loose and isnt making good contact anymore, or maybe you didnt quite get the thermal paste application right. You should try to redo your thermal paste again and maybe try using a new CPU cooler, its possible that your cpu fan is dying or at least not working as it should be.

Odds are you CPU is fine, you just need to cool it.

If you do still want to get a new PC a new CPU would require a new motherboard and new ram (you have DDR3, new systems use DDR4)

droekel

Prominent
Dec 5, 2017
Thank you both. Will try thermal paste again and if that doesn't work start replacing.

thing is, if i have to replace my motherboard, cpu, ram.. and it wouldnt hurt to get a new hard drive as this hd is old, is that still worth it or should i just look to get a new system