[SOLVED] Upgrading System

Nov 25, 2021
This is my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R7RMJf

My first issue is that my CPU just has the default fan that it came with so it gets hot fast and underperforms. But I would like to upgrade it but dont know what to upgrade too and which cpu cooler to get or if I could get liquid cooling and if so how does that work if its worth it. So I would like to know these two things:

1) What CPU would be a good and worthy enough upgrade to be able to handle games such as Overwatch, Call of Duty: Vanguard and Warzone, and new games that will be heavy runners?

2) What type of CPU Cooler would fit my build and is worth getting?

also could I get/fit a NZXT Kraken Z73. I know it’s expensive but it looks really cool

Thank you for all your type and considerate answers!

Last edited:
Solution
For #1 Your board supports up to the 3xxx series Ryzens. If you want to upgrade your CPU, your best bet is probably to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 (6core Zen 2). You could spend more on the 8+core Zen 2 CPUs but that might not be worth it for gaming performance/price. If you choose to upgrade the CPU - make sure you update your BIOS to the newest before removing your old CPU.

You might also consider replacing the mobo altogether so that you could get a Zen 3 or an Intel although that might be more hassle than you want. You'd need a fresh windows install and if you have an OEM windows key you'd need to buy a new key.

For #2 It sounds like you need to reapply the thermal paste and remount your existing cooler.

My first issue is that my CPU just has the default fan that it came with so it gets hot fast and underperforms. But I would like to upgrade it but dont know what to upgrade too and which cpu cooler to get or if I could get liquid cooling and if so how does that work if its worth it. So I would like to know these two things:

1) What CPU would be a good and worthy enough upgrade to be able to handle games such as Overwatch, Call of Duty: Vanguard and Warzone, and new games that will be heavy runners?

also could I get/fit a NZXT Kraken Z73. I know it’s expensive but it looks really cool

Before changing the cpu cooler is the heatsink and fan extra clean.
Look close at the heatsink they can get loaded with crud.

Is the cooler mounted proper and have you redone the thermal paste?

Try testing with the side panel off the case and see if it makes a diff.

How hot does the CPU get? For it to 'underperform', it has to get hot enough for it to throttle. How do you know it's throttling? What tool are you using to determine the temperatures and/or throttling?

Your PSU is not a great one, and may be underpowered to fully use your 2060.

Lastly, the mechanical hard drive could be slowing you down as well.

Nov 25, 2021
How hot does the CPU get? For it to 'underperform', it has to get hot enough for it to throttle. How do you know it's throttling? What tool are you using to determine the temperatures and/or throttling?

Your PSU is not a great one, and may be underpowered to fully use your 2060.

Lastly, the mechanical hard drive could be slowing you down as well.

I used the Ryzen Master to test and the temp was at 90°C as I only had a few tabs open. I just cleaned the fan out but I have not redone thermal paste

Nov 25, 2021
Before changing the cpu cooler is the heatsink and fan extra clean.
Look close at the heatsink they can get loaded with crud.

Is the cooler mounted proper and have you redone the thermal paste?

Try testing with the side panel off the case and see if it makes a diff.
I don’t have a side panel on front or back and I did just clean the fan but didn’t redo thermal paste. I used the Ryzen Master to test and the temp was at 90°C as I only had a few tabs open.

larkspur

Distinguished
For #1 Your board supports up to the 3xxx series Ryzens. If you want to upgrade your CPU, your best bet is probably to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 (6core Zen 2). You could spend more on the 8+core Zen 2 CPUs but that might not be worth it for gaming performance/price. If you choose to upgrade the CPU - make sure you update your BIOS to the newest before removing your old CPU.

You might also consider replacing the mobo altogether so that you could get a Zen 3 or an Intel although that might be more hassle than you want. You'd need a fresh windows install and if you have an OEM windows key you'd need to buy a new key.

For #2 It sounds like you need to reapply the thermal paste and remount your existing cooler.

Solution