[SOLVED] Upgrading the GPU on my dual-core Intel Core i3 530 CPU

Jun 27, 2020
Hi there,

I could do with your advice on upgrading my system, I have a budget of £200 and plan on buying the GPU as soon as possible. Preferably from Amazon.

Have been a little confused with power consumption requirements etc so thought I'd ask here.

My specs are:

Dual-core Intel Core i3 530 CPU @ 2.93GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
XFX AT Radeon HD 5700 AVP edition 1GB GDDR5
600W (total power?) OCZ PSU
Window 7 64bit
500GB hard drive

You can find a review of my original system here if thats any help:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/ocuk-titan-xenomorph-avp-edition-pc
The only differeneces are I am no long overclocked, have upgraded the RAM, have a 500GB hardrive and believe I have a better PSU.

I intend to upgrade the hard drive and possibly to Windows 10 64bit, so with that in mind is a certain order of events you would suggest?
There is a spare 6pin? lead for a second graphics card.

I play alot of older games although get a average FPS on games like GTA IV, I would like to be able to play newer titles and have smoother gameplay when it comes to modding some games such as Skyrim with HD texture packs etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Reg

Solution
Even if a newer card would bottleneck, you can use it in another system. First off, I would ditch that i3 for a used Xeon X3450, or x3480, off Ebay, or maybe get lucky and find a local deal. They are basically i7's. You can look for compatible i7's as well, like the i7 860. I know the x3450 is typically really cheap, and are overclockable. It really just depends on what is available to you, in your region.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H55M-UD2H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Then get you a better graphics card. An RX 570 would be an ok fit. You might need to do a bios update. That would give you a solid cheap upgrade.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hi there,

I could do with your advice on upgrading my system, I have a budget of £200 and plan on buying the GPU as soon as possible. Preferably from Amazon.

Have been a little confused with power consumption requirements etc so thought I'd ask here.

My specs are:

Dual-core Intel Core i3 530 CPU @ 2.93GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
XFX AT Radeon HD 5700 AVP edition 1GB GDDR5
600W (total power?) OCZ PSU
Window 7 64bit
500GB hard drive

You can find a review of my original system here if thats any help:
https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/ocuk-titan-xenomorph-avp-edition-pc
The only differeneces are I am no long overclocked, have upgraded the RAM, have a 500GB hardrive and believe I have a better PSU.

I intend to upgrade the hard drive and possibly to Windows 10 64bit, so with that in mind is a certain order of events you would suggest?
There is a spare 6pin? lead for a second graphics card.

I play alot of older games although get a average FPS on games like GTA IV, I would like to be able to play newer titles and have smoother gameplay when it comes to modding some games such as Skyrim with HD texture packs etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Reg
That I3 of yours would be a solid bottleneck to any modern or last gen card. Upgrade your CPU and GPU.

Are you planning on upgrading your GPU or getting a second of the same for crossfire?

Regardless that CPU of yours would bottleneck the hell outta anything near modern.

Jun 27, 2020
Hi thanks for the reply.

I thought as much I know its quite a dated system, was trying to future proof it instead of buying a new.

Was planning on upgrading the GPU, running two on this system has bad reviews.. i think the second port only runs at 40% in crossfire.

What's the cost of a CPU change and what would you recommend?
I mean it may be easier/cost affective to buy a new at this rate?

Thanks

Reg

logainofhades

Titan
Even if a newer card would bottleneck, you can use it in another system. First off, I would ditch that i3 for a used Xeon X3450, or x3480, off Ebay, or maybe get lucky and find a local deal. They are basically i7's. You can look for compatible i7's as well, like the i7 860. I know the x3450 is typically really cheap, and are overclockable. It really just depends on what is available to you, in your region.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H55M-UD2H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Then get you a better graphics card. An RX 570 would be an ok fit. You might need to do a bios update. That would give you a solid cheap upgrade.

Solution