[SOLVED] Upgrading the old lady - looking for recommendations

Apr 15, 2020
Hey all,

Well it's time to get into upgrading the machine, had her a long time but gaming and processing speeds are starting to wear. I'm no where near VR ready I feel and modern gaming is taking a bit of a struggle. I'm looking to get this machine future proof and VR Ready and I really want to see the beauty of 4k ect. First of all I'm sure I need to move away from my processor and motherboard models as 1155's don't seem as supported anymore and well a mid range third generation Ivy Bridge i5 is not gonna cut it in 2020 and beyond. Looking into upgrading those first and formost - the rest will come with time. Would love to see some recommendations for a processor and motherboard that isn't a wallet killer but not necessarily the cheapest route either. I hear plenty of good with the Ryzen models in terms of money to performance. I'll post my specs below and answer any questions. Thank you to all who answer and advise.

Processor (CPU)Intel Core i5 3470 - Ivy Bridge Socket 1155 LGA
RAM DDR3 16 GBs G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4 x 4GBs
MotherboardASRock Extreme4 LGA 1155
Graphics Card (GPU)NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 16GBs
Power Supply (PSU)RX 630SS RAIDMAX 630W PSU
OtherCorsair Liquid Cooler

Solution
Well I would start with a new board/cpu/ram. Retire your old set to a second computer or sell it off to upgrade someones machine. As for getting into 4k or VR that takes a lot of horsepower from the video card which means lots of money. 1440p is more practical and doable these days. Both Nvidia and AMD have their next generation video cards releasing late summer or fall, so if you can hold off till then you'd be great. In the meantime that 1070 can handle 1080p and 1440p just fine. You just may not hit 160fps at ultra settings full time is all.

If you are really itching for more upgrade before then, think about a monitor or peripheral upgrade if you are lacking in that department.
Apr 15, 2020
Yes the Ryzens definitly give you more power for their price. What is your approximate budget on this upgrade? Also do you intend to keep your current graphics card?

Hey Encryption thanks for the quick reply!

Approximate budget for just upgrading currently is $750 for the processor mobo upgrade since there is only 2 potential upgrades for 1155s at this point but I'm willing to pay extra as long as it makes sense to (meaning I may have to upgrade PSU RAM ect). I will probably hold on the the GPU a bit longer since its another costly venture but its still pretty new. The goal is to get the machine capable of VR, 14k gaming. Not really in the business of video rendering and I have plenty of storage and SSD's so none of that is a problem.

Thanks!

gondo

Distinguished
Well I would start with a new board/cpu/ram. Retire your old set to a second computer or sell it off to upgrade someones machine. As for getting into 4k or VR that takes a lot of horsepower from the video card which means lots of money. 1440p is more practical and doable these days. Both Nvidia and AMD have their next generation video cards releasing late summer or fall, so if you can hold off till then you'd be great. In the meantime that 1070 can handle 1080p and 1440p just fine. You just may not hit 160fps at ultra settings full time is all.

If you are really itching for more upgrade before then, think about a monitor or peripheral upgrade if you are lacking in that department.

Solution