[SOLVED] Upgrading TJ04-E Build - Can I fit AIO?

DrGizmo

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
Hey Hivemind,

I have a question for those around here old enough to remember the good old Silverstone TJ04-E. Im looking to upgrade my old build, swapping out the following:

Mobo: Ditching the old Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H for a new ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU: Ditching the old i5-3570k for a new Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: Ditching the old AMD 7970 for a new RTX 3090
RAM: Ditching the Corsair 16gb sticks and popping in 32Gbs Trident Z Neo

Planning to reuse my Seasonic 760W PSU, my old Hard Drives and most importantly, reusing my old Seasonic TJ04-EW chasis.

The big question: Id love to go with 240mm AIO for CPU cooling on this upgraded build. Does anyone know if i can fit the radiator+fans it in the top of this case or do i not have enough clearance? THe old manual is no help, as this was long before AIO's were a thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
For that processor, I'd ask you to look into a 280mm or a 360mm AIO at the very least. As for the case, yes I recall it and back then it was worth investing in. I'd advise on moving to a new case that is more efficiently designed with airflow in mind and with less restrictions in the airflow path. I also don't think there's clearance at the top to avoid hitting the rams. You could use zipties to secure the AIO up top or mod the case and ditch all the metal parts to improve the internals but it's best you hold onto the case as a part of technological history and get a more refined case for 2021.

Another angle, you could just stick with aircooling and not an AIO.

Lutfij

Titan
For that processor, I'd ask you to look into a 280mm or a 360mm AIO at the very least. As for the case, yes I recall it and back then it was worth investing in. I'd advise on moving to a new case that is more efficiently designed with airflow in mind and with less restrictions in the airflow path. I also don't think there's clearance at the top to avoid hitting the rams. You could use zipties to secure the AIO up top or mod the case and ditch all the metal parts to improve the internals but it's best you hold onto the case as a part of technological history and get a more refined case for 2021.

Solution

DrGizmo

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012

Thanks very much for the reply! Kind of what I expected to hear, I was just really hoping to reuse this old case at least for one upgrade cycle!

Air cooling is definitely an option. Wont look as cool, but I suppose it would be functional enough!