Question Upgrading to 2700X and don’t know if I need a new PSU

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hi, I am currently using my PC with an FX-8350 and I find it slow when it comes to loading tasks. So I’m looking at a new processor (Ryzen 7 2700X) and I am worried my PSU power won’t be clean enough being only rated at 80 Plus, could someone tell me If the power will fluctuate to greatly and break.

Gaurav_40

Honorable
Mar 13, 2017
Ryzen 2700x has a mac TDP of 105w, while the RX 570 OC has 150w of max power draw. Unless you are worried about efficiency of running a 2700x (you should be) you can keep using this PSU. On the other hand it will generate more heat and probably not be as silent as you might expect.
In my opinion it won't harm if you decide to keep using this PSU, but upgrading it to a 700w 80+ Bronze from a well-reputed brand will serve you best in the long term.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED
I have the Astrape M1 650w psu

I probably would spring for a brand name psu. Wattage and rating mean nothing. Quality means everything, voltage rails etc.... I would go to jonnyguru.com and read some reviews or go ask Shilka at overclock.net for some advice. You can get good psu's for cheap but you have to know exactly who the oem actually is. The psu and mobo are the foundations of any build yet they get skimped on the most